Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

2. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Sorry, I didn't explain well, but I hear what you're saying. I know cream dilutes gold to cream (technically a diluter of red). I just haven't seen anything that shows that ig is powerful enough to dilute the combination of mahogany and red that form what we generally call autosomal red (what I refer to as red on our birds, thus my confusion). I definitely need to learn more. Sorry to anyone I may have confused!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

So interesting about the inks........

Here's an article that talks about the other form of gold (red)

http://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/the-other-type-of-gold-red

4. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011

Because it's true.

The shorthand for the cream gene is ig which comes from inhibitor of gold.

In simple terms there are only two feather pigment colors - black and red. White is the absence of either. Different gene switches affect the distribution and intensity of pigments along the feather. Barring turns color on and off along the feather as it grows and affects both colors. Cream or ig only inhibits the expression of gold i.e. red.

Good source for learning basics of chicken colour genetics is Sigrid van Dort's book which can be ordered but not read online. A cheat sheet of sorts can be ffound here. Http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page3.html

I think you are thinking of autosomal red (Ar) which is not completely affected by the silver gene (S)..another gold inhibitor.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Thank you! Helps a lot! [​IMG]

6. blackbirds13

blackbirds13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire

7. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA

I wonder if we could ask Grant Brereton (sp?) and Brian Reeder (and/or other published poultry genetics people) to write specifically about Cream Legbar genetics (if they have not already done so). And if they've already covered CLs in their work, perhaps they could offer it in a smaller, specifically Cream Legbar book?

And, of course, our own genetics gurus Tim and Marvin, and any others I've inexcusably forgotten. I'd like an article interviewing both of them together for the newsletter.

8. ChicKat

I have emailed Grant Brereton and asked him for help on this subject-- you know me.....

9. ChicKat

Thanks for the recommendations!

10. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Has anyone read Sigrid van Dort's book The Genetics of Chicken Colours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by