Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. OHfarmerswife

OHfarmerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Troy, OH
    Thanks KPenley for the info. This is new territory for us with or chickens. We are enjoying the rooster dance. I also have a Swedish Flower Hen rooster who is 5 months, & he is taking lessons from our legbar.

2. HeritageEggs

HeritageEggs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    Kelowna BC
    My Coop
    Just acquired 2 sets of Crested Cream Legbars - they have an amazing disposition. Very friendly and mixed 4 of these 5 week olds with my 2 week old chicks (as I only have one heated pen set up at the moment) and they instantly bonded. Nothing like the pecking I've seen introducing chickens to each other before! What do you think about the colors? I was hoping they would be lighter like the UK lines but I can foresee a gold hackle in both the females future...

All I know about their background, is I bought them from a hobby farm who got them from a lady that ordered them from a heritage farm in California.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

So great that they aren't taking advantage of the little chicks in the picture. It's a bit difficult to tell in the light, and you will really only know their plumage colors a little later in their lives. It looks like you have a nice healthy start to raising Cream Legbars! Congrats!

4. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Haven't seen this but in a small way this is a positive. Now the people who have been cross breeding with anything and selling eggs/chicks as purebred CCL because they can get top dollar will move on to something else and we can work on getting the breed back on track.

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I guess you can look at it like that. I was thinking it might set CLs back because hatcheries like that aren't breeding forward their best birds and culling birds that are not up to "standards". They probably arent breeding for plumage color, body type, blue eggs, good auto sexing traits. Im not sure where this will take the CLs with them being so new.

6. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    The same is true of any breed sold from a hatchery. I'm not thrilled about the coming flood of hatchery CCL, but those who care about the breed and are interested in moving it forward will find the true breeders. IMHO, that's what is so great about the group starting our club, everyone is truly working to educate new folks as well as improving/standardizing the chickens. But this will eliminate the unethical get rich quick crowd, and I personally believe they do more harm to the perception of a breed, the actual quality of the birds and the true breeders.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  7. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    I think another advantage home breeders have, is we don't need to ship chicks when locals want them. I really believe people would pick buying birds right down the road rather then shipping and waiting for them.

8. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Hey Y'all...this is totally off subject but does anyone have experience with helping a bird after a dog attack? Apparently some visitors to a neighbor let their dogs loose/or they got out, and they attacked my free rangers. Only two died, but my beautiful Barnevelder Rooster has a naked back with lots of deep bite marks. We brought him in after chasing off the dog that had him in his mouth (I think he was a hunting dog because he didn't outright kill him and he dropped him when I yelled "Drop"), Nustocked the rooster's back and wounds, and have him in a carrier in the laundry room. It's so cold out tonight and the poor thing was wet through from the rain. I'm not sure if he'll make it, but I'm really glad that I still had Lily in an isolation cage or I'm sure she'd be a goner too. Strangely enough the 1 legbar and the two barkies (1/2 Legbar) escaped to the porch, smart birds (and luckily all the breeders were in the pens).

Thanks for letting me vent. Anyone have any more care advice?tia

9. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA
    I am not a vet but I think that your immediate concern will be infection. I would clean the wounds as best you can and apply some triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds. You will also want to protect the wounds from contamination, both inadvertent from his surroundings and deliberate that he may cause himself. Lastly, I would use an antibiotic in his water, perhaps oxytetracycline.

These are the steps that I would take but like I said I am not a vet. Best wishes for pulling him through. The loss of your chickens always hurts.

10. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks Mr. T!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by