Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. Flaming Chicken

Flaming Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Redmond WA

My pullet that hatched from Rinda's eggs looks very much like this hen. I can't wait to breed her to my 2013 cream greenfire cockerel this spring.

2. cleansquared

cleansquared Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2013
    moline ks
    I have always read that you don't want to mate crested to crested that it can create an abnormal shaped cranium which creates an abnormal shaped crest and can cause other health problems. I have alwYs read from breaders to do crested to non crested and that prevents this from happening.

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:thats not the case with Single combed birds where the Full crest is not expressed as in the Polish breed

4. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Is it odd that my males seem to have no crest at all?

And another question, when I'm selling my POL pullets that I do not want to breed, what should I list them as? And for how much? I thought to just list them as blue egg layers, I'm not sure their breed really matters if they aren't even close to SOP.

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Creast as shank feathering can be enhanced and decreased, seems like your birds crest gene/s are not fully pressent... as for the Hens, you can call them Cream Creasted Legbars, its not like that has stoped many breeders selling other breeds even if they dont come close to the SOP.

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

There's an article by Terry Beebe in the book: Hatching and Rearing your Birds . He says that there is a "shocking condition, known variously as 'cerebral hernia', 'Crooked Neck' and even 'Seahorse syndrome' ..". Although he says it can affect other breeds, it is most common in the breeds that have a crest and a domed skull, such as Silky and Poland (called Polish in the USA, I believe)... He goes on to say "In reality the 'cerebral hernia' condition is usually both incurable and terminal." Beebe says that birds even if they should recover from this shouldn't be used in the breeding program.

The problem is 'water on the brain' (hydrocephalus). He says it's often due to the Silky's 'vaulted skull' and the Poland has a 'poll'. Both referencing the raised part of the tip of the skull where the crest feathers come out. The skull formations are evident when the chicks are a day old. The author suggests keeping careful track of the breeding lines that have the problem.

Never have I heard of a CL with the 'crooked neck' problem, and the skulls of day-olds don't appear different to me than any other chicks. But perhaps the above mentioned breeds would benefit from out-crosses, or from crested and non-crested birds being bred to protect the lines from this problem.........

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  7. Flaming Chicken

Mar 21, 2009
    Redmond WA
    I have 3 Pullets from GFF that are gold. They are 2013 lines. Nice looking, great crests, but gold. Not what I want to add to my breeding program. Hoping to sell them, so I will be listing them for their auto sexing blue egg laying ability. I paid $50 and they are nearly POL, so I am going to ask for that and drop the price if they don't sell.

Several of my boys started with smaller crests that don't really stand out as they get older.

8. Flaming Chicken

Mar 21, 2009
    Redmond WA
    I sold eggs from my cream legbars to 2 women last year. Both of them hatched out cream colored males. Both my roosters have gold saddles. They must have recessive cream! I am going into this season with more hope. I plan to pull out my gold girls and set a lot more eggs in my quest for cream!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  9. DeltaBluezTess

DeltaBluezTess Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Carnation, WA
    My Coop
    Carol,

I have several nice cream hens so talk to me in the spring about eggs. Most of mine are golden so they will go into the egg layer flocks for egg sales (eating)

Sold all of the older Roosters as they were too red and the younger ones from GRR look nice.

Diane

10. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    The two I want to sell are also very gold, and seem to be smaller then my other three.
    I have one beautiful cream girl, and I really hope she gives me some better cream males. My other two are nicely sized, and perfect blue eggs, so I'll be using them as well.
    I'm not sure which male to use. All the reading I've done has been a little more confusing. I have one with darker black barring, and one with less distinct barring...if that makes sense.
    Do chicks get size from the males or females?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by