Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    last winter at the start of winter i had two roos starting to mature. The first real freeze my one roo got frostbite. His comb never got bigger after that. His brothers comb became 2 times bigger

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Big Combs? Someone say BIG COMB?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They had their big growth spurt near POL when we had a week of 110 degree + weather.

3. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Wow! That is big. My hen combs are no where near that size.

4. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Yeah - LOL Thing 1's comb started growing and kept growing like crazy. They are layers, so I don't have to worry about passing it on.

Thing 2's comb is big also, but not that big.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(She's pretty, but a mean little snot.)

5. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    LOL, I'd be a mean little snot too if I couldn't see!

HAPPY NEW YEAR and many happy hatches for 2014!

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

whoa!

I guess I second what Tru says.... what a pretty chicken. Nice photos too. Is there such a thing as comb-reduction-surgery. Do you think her personality would change? That hen has the type of Crest that I like on females.

Steen...So frostbite killed the growth of the comb...but the roosters were the same age & side-by-side? guess that would be a 50%-minus proof of the theory... but I think that they meant when the cockerels were really little - hence too small to get frostbite.

Happy 2014 everyone!!

7. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA
    Happy New Year and many happy hatches to all!!

8. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    LOL! Actually, they are pictures of two different birds. My first post, (#3273) is of "Thing 1". Her comb is the biggest, crest is much smaller, but she's a sweetie. "Thing 2" is the bird to the left of her in the picture, and her portraits are in post #3275. She's the Diva Boss, and picks on everyone else. She chases my olive-eggers around, and they are almost twice her size.

I couldn't tell them apart when I got them, so I called them Thing One and Thing Two for so long that it stuck. (My other one is crestless, and much more golden so is easy to identify.)

Luckily I live in a warm climate - Frostbite would probably dub them for me if I lived in the cold country!

Happy New Year to everyone from me and my funny-looking Legbars who keep me, and my friends, stocked with lovely blue eggs!

Edited for Typos

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  9. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Happy new year's- crossing my fingers that 2013 year of the cockerels means 2014 year of the pullet for me!

10. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Can't wait for the spring, for my girls to lay again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by