Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Well.... I will disagree with that theory too..... My hubby was 62 when he had his first son and 64 when he had his second. I just wanted one girl.... just one and I ended up with 3 Boys.... 26 down to 5 and 3. hehe.....

2. Heffburke

Heffburke New Egg

Feb 5, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I'm not sure if this has been previously mentioned, but has anyone thought of creating a rose combed cream legbar using a rose combed brown leghorn ? Being that it hasn't been out of the teens for much of the country, it might be worth considering.

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    My pullets are getting older, now roughly 25-26 weeks old. I think pullet 2 is nearing point of lay, she is getting red in the face and her comb and wattles are growing. I cant wait to see that 1st egg. I like the look of pullet 2 over pullet 1.

Pullet 1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pullet 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

both side by side (pullet 1 left, pullet 2 right)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. WHmarans

WHmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho
    I think both of them are beautiful. I like them the best of most I've seen.

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Yes FlyingMonkeyPoop is working on just that...you may want to PM - last I heard the process was going well. :O)

6. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Thank You!

7. ChicKat

Chickien Pickin

I like Pullet 2 better also. What things make 2 your preference. -- Look at that ice ---brrrrrrr.

8. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    I love her crest, I prefer the crest to be a little smaller then some I have seen. I like that her breast is fuller and the angle of her back to her tail has a better line/curve. I like that her face has a softer look to it more feminine. I like the little bit of color around her face and I also like that her beak has a softer curve to it not as dramatic as pullet 1.

What do you like better about her?

9. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Wow, congrats--they are maturing very nicely!

I like them both equally. Each has their strengths. Although I prefer the slightly smaller crest on pullet 2, she has a fold in the front part of her comb that I suspect will throw males with that cranial fold/twist that is undesirable. Keep an eye in her male offspring as you breed forward and see if that is really the case.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  10. ChicKat

Definitely the smaller crest, and somehow - some chickens look more 'intelligent' - and I think she looks more intelligent that the other one.... Also I think that she looks more streamlined and feminine. AND yes, they are both nice. Funny thing too, we look for a more feminine look in our females in the cow herd and a more 'bully' look on the boys. There's just something about them that you just know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by