Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    My CL rooster is suffering from some really bad frostbite, worse than my other roosters. Unfortunately I think he will lose all his tips and maybe a little of his actual comb.

2. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    They get frostbite every year. My first ones did last winter and again this winter and all but one of last seasons keepers have got it this winter

3. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

4. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Our main boy lost all his tips, and the second boy lost tips down to half his comb. It was completely unavoidable. -8* and 70% humidity outside. I was quite devastated, but they seem to be fine now. Our Cochin boys last year had zero issues, but the Creams combs are much larger then I thought they were going to be.

5. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    It's odd...my boys in an open coop (pretty much open a on all sides covered with a ceiling tarp to keep out rain are fine. My boys in the coops with more protection now have horrible frostbite from the last 2-3 weeks of cold! The babies are all protected, but they have insulated places to sleep.

Interestingly, the hens all tuck their heads nicely so there is no permanent damage [​IMG]

6. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    The coop keeps in more humidity and the humidity is what causes frostbite.

7. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I appreciate the input -- thanks all!

It looks like frostbite could be an issue in colder climates. My CL rooster is hurting -- he is losing all his points but one, and at least half the blade, and some of the comb underneath the tips. His wattles are half-black and frozen together. It's unusually cold here (Michigan) this winter, but last winter was mild and the CL rooster I had at that time was frostbitten as well, though not as badly.

Anecdotal evidence at best, I know -- but my non-CL straight-combed rooster is fine.

If it does turn out the CLs are not cold-hardy (or at least if their combs aren't), I wonder how long it would take the breed to adapt to cold? Is this a trait one can breed for?

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    you would be surprice but siberian Huskies have adapted to NicaraguanĀ“s Hot, humid climate... I know some of them had to die out first, but I see alot of them now, so I guess only the ones that survive will pass this to your future CLs

9. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    It is called a Rose Comb! The only pullet I have with frostbite are CCL too....

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

There is a breeder working on rose combed CCL. Flyingmonkeypoop I think........ His name cracks me up......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by