Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar Premium Member

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    The Cotwold Legbar is not a breed, but rather a hybird made from crossing the Cream Legbar with other breeds. The Heritage Skyline, Columbine, Fenton Blue, Fenton Rose, and Jasmine are other Blue Egg laying Hybirds that are sold in the UK. The different names are from different hatcheries but they all are about the same. About 80% of these Hybirds have the blue egg gene. Those that do lay eggs in colours from pastel blues to olive green.

2. rc50

rc50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    in other words just another EE

3. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    OH no!
    Another legbar thread to keep up with [​IMG]

4. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar Premium Member

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    Yep...

5. chicks4fun

chicks4fun Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Frederick County MD
    These are my Olive-eggers (but they are half Cream Legbar) any idea if I have roos or hens?

[​IMG]
    3 four-month old Olive-eggers (far right is a cuckoo maran)

They are a cross between a Cream Legbar & Maran. The two on the right both have more prominate crests, but the one in the middle is a much larger bird, note their leg colors are different too. The one on the left doesn't have a crest but the coloring is the same as the one with a crest.
    Any guesses as to what I might have? No one is aggressive, no one crows, and no one has laid an egg.
    I just keep wondering. . . . .

6. RyeRanch

RyeRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Poway, Ca
    Maybe they are all hens. My legbar Roo started crowing ( or trying to) at about 12 weeks. Here's hoping...

7. chicks4fun

May 11, 2009
    Frederick County MD
    Oh, RyeRanch, that would be so nice. I have been looking through all the pics of Cream Legbars (beautiful birds) and I keep hoping I have hens. I already have two Roos here.
    The were crossed with Black Copper Marans or Splash Marans.
    They have great personalities. I can't wait for eggs!

8. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Chicks4fun, at that age they look like hens to me too :)

9. RyeRanch

RyeRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Poway, Ca
    Come to think of it - my marans roos started crowing even earlier than the legbars - my money is on all hens if there is no crowing at 4 months.

I have a marans roo who hatched at the end of march who crows like a lunatic EVERY morning. The legbar roo is no more than 12 weeks old and is trying to give the marans roo a run for his money in the crowing department. Sometimes it kind of makes me want some enchiladas...chicken enchiladas.

10. chicks4fun

May 11, 2009
    Frederick County MD

[​IMG] Oh I so hope you are right---now if somebody would just lay me an egg!

Do Cream Legbars lay later? I have a Maran who is about a month older and she has not laid an egg yet. It may be the heat too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by