Cream Legbars

Pics
Come to think of it - my marans roos started crowing even earlier than the legbars - my money is on all hens if there is no crowing at 4 months.

I have a marans roo who hatched at the end of march who crows like a lunatic EVERY morning. The legbar roo is no more than 12 weeks old and is trying to give the marans roo a run for his money in the crowing department. Sometimes it kind of makes me want some enchiladas...chicken enchiladas.
chicken enchiladas---
lau.gif
I get it---I have two roos already.

This is good news and I am very hopeful. None of the trio acts very aggressive also. I have some chicks that hatched May 15 and two of them are already chest bumping. Not sure what I will do with them as they are mutt chicks---free to good home
wink.png

I know this is a Cream Legbar thread so thank you all for looking!!!!

Come to think of it - my marans roos started crowing even earlier than the legbars - my money is on all hens if there is no crowing at 4 months.

I have a marans roo who hatched at the end of march who crows like a lunatic EVERY morning. The legbar roo is no more than 12 weeks old and is trying to give the marans roo a run for his money in the crowing department. Sometimes it kind of makes me want some enchiladas...chicken enchiladas.
need to be carefull with that one i brought 4 roos

1 marans, 1 legbar and 2 araucanas

they live together and the marans grew real big and started crowing at 10 weeks the others where not

the legbar is sexlink so garunteed roo

the others never crowed, now at week 20 plus i got rid of the crowing marans, put the legbar with the hens and seperated the araucanas, all males cant see eachother and are not in a group anymore

they started crowing within hours of being seperated

basically the marans was the boss and dominated his autority by crowing so the other stayed quite, now they are their own boss they have started crowing too

need to be carefull with that one i brought 4 roos

1 marans, 1 legbar and 2 araucanas

they live together and the marans grew real big and started crowing at 10 weeks the others where not

the legbar is sexlink so garunteed roo

the others never crowed, now at week 20 plus i got rid of the crowing marans, put the legbar with the hens and seperated the araucanas, all males cant see eachother and are not in a group anymore

they started crowing within hours of being seperated

basically the marans was the boss and dominated his autority by crowing so the other stayed quite, now they are their own boss they have started crowing too
Interesting. I have a bantam roo who is the oldest and he crows. I have, among the 4-5 month old babies, a Wellie Roo who is also crowing but doesn't challenge the little guy.
I still hope they are hens
fl.gif

When do the Legbars start to lay eggs? I mean the approximate age?
I have a Cuckoo Maran who should be about 15 weeks+ and she hasn't laid yet.

I have a bantam roo who is the oldest and he crows. I have, among the 4-5 month old babies, a Wellie Roo who is also crowing but doesn't challenge the little guy.
I still hope they are hens
fl.gif

When do the Legbars start to lay eggs? I mean the approximate age?
I have a Cuckoo Maran who should be about 15 weeks+ and she hasn't laid yet.
Not sure that any LF chicken lays at 15 weeks.
My CL roo was producing chicks at 15 weeks, but the hens take way longer to mature. The earliest I have heard is 22 weeks.

Not sure that any LF chicken lays at 15 weeks.
My CL roo was producing chicks at 15 weeks, but the hens take way longer to mature. The earliest I have heard is 22 weeks.
Thanks for the reply. I am not very patient. It has been awhile since I raised babies. I just can't wait to see what my new girls eggs will be like. I have the new olive eggers (cross with a Cream Legbar), a new Maran, a Welsummer, and a few others.
So most of my babies were born in March/April and I assume that I should not expect eggs until September.

This year all of my Marans started laying between 20-24 weeks, and my Legbars all started between 21-23 weeks. I would circle 22 1/2 weeks on your calendar as your predicted first egg, and see how close you get.

Thanks for the reply. I am not very patient. It has been awhile since I raised babies. I just can't wait to see what my new girls eggs will be like. I have the new olive eggers (cross with a Cream Legbar), a new Maran, a Welsummer, and a few others.
So most of my babies were born in March/April and I assume that I should not expect eggs until September.
Hi chicks4fun,

I'm curious if your crosses are crested, because I heard it is a dominant gene. Love the chicken in your avatar.

Hi chicks4fun,

I'm curious if your crosses are crested, because I heard it is a dominant gene. Love the chicken in your avatar.

Two are crested. I have some pictures on my profile under "olive eggers"
I purchased 3 chicks in March. One is grey, the other two more black. The grey and one of the black birds have crests. So far no one is crowing so I am still hoping for hens. I think in the next few weeks something should happen.

This is the grey bird. She can move the crest up more than it shows in this picture. She is starting to get more red and I fear she will be a Rooster. She is also bigger than the other two. They are crossed with Cream Legbar and Black Copper Marans (I think---have to look that up again, but Legbar/Maran for sure). If she is a roo she is a very nice one and not aggressive.
I need to look at Legbar photos again.
What do you think? Hen or Roo?

Also thanks, my avatar was just for fun (I don't make my chickens dress up normally)---I've had that chicken for four years now. She is a sweetie. A friend made the sweater for a chicken swap and it didn't sell and she gave it to me. Poor chicken didn't know what to think
lau.gif
but she gave me quite a laugh as she ran, then hopped, the looked at me like-- "you have got to be kidding"

Back
Top Bottom