Cream Legbars

They are just too cute!!! Congrats on the new additions. Where are you located? Maybe someone on this thread will be near you and have a male from good stock to supply you.

Do you happen to have another picture of the chick on the far left, a side view and a top view? Im just curious.

I don't have one right now, but it is a little lighter than the others. I am located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I got 5 today from Lancaster Fancy Fowl near Reading, PA.

I can take a new pic in the morning.

Finally, my CL laid her first egg. I 'think' it is a nice color. This my first CL hen. It is a very good size for her first egg and I am so pleased. I put it beside the Isbar egg which has also just started laying.

Here is the comparison in colors.

CL is 27 wks.
Congrats! the first egg is always sooo exciting. It is a nice color too! I'm like you and have Legbars and Isbars...and that is very typical of the colors for both. My Isbars do lighten as they go through their cycles -- Love that the colors are different for both breeds.

I'm so excited!!! I've been wanting Cream Legbars in my flock & I finally got some today! Now I just need a roo.
Congratulations ! -- it is so much fun to have Legbars IMO - I'm wondering if the far left chick may be the male you are wishing for. the way the light hits in that photo - it sort of looks like he has a little white head spot that is very definite. If the chipmunk stripes are diffused or hardly there -- it could be you have 3 females and one male. Can't wait to see the pictures that chicken pickin requested.

Did the person you bought them from say they were all females? Does the white extend outside the V on the top of the head? Is that too many questions? Photo of the top of the head and photo of the back - You sure got a bunch of cute chicks there!
caf.gif

Last edited:
Congratulations ! -- it is so much fun to have Legbars IMO - I'm wondering if the far left chick may be the male you are wishing for. the way the light hits in that photo - it sort of looks like he has a little white head spot that is very definite. If the chipmunk stripes are diffused or hardly there -- it could be you have 3 females and one male. Can't wait to see the pictures that chicken pickin requested.

Did the person you bought them from say they were all females? Does the white extend outside the V on the top of the head? Is that too many questions? Photo of the top of the head and photo of the back - You sure got a bunch of cute chicks there!
caf.gif
I agree.

That is the reason I asked to see more pics as well :)

The head looks like the V is a little less defined and I see a head spot possibly larger than what a pullet would have, also its eyeliner has a break in it toward the back.

Last edited:
I agree.

That is reason I asked to see more pics as well :)

The head looks like the V is a little less defined and I see a head spot possibly larger than what a pullet would have, also its eyeliner has a break in it toward the back.

The man said they were all pullets and I really wanted a cockerel to go with them. The lighter one was the only one out of about 40 that was lighter so we picked it hoping it's a cockerel. He only had 5 left, so we took all he would let us or I'd have more. I will take better pics in the morning and post.

Congratulations ! -- it is so much fun to have Legbars IMO -  I'm wondering if the far left chick may be the male you are wishing for.  the way the light hits in that photo - it sort of looks like he has a little white head spot that is very definite.  If the chipmunk stripes are diffused or hardly there -- it could be you have 3 females and one male.  Can't wait to see the pictures that chicken pickin requested.  

Did the person you bought them from say they were all females?  Does the white extend outside the V on the top of the head?  Is that too many questions?  Photo of the top of the head and photo of the back -   You sure got a bunch of cute chicks there!

Here are some pics from this morning of the chick in question.
:caf  
[/IMG][/IMG]

Cute little chick - and hard to tell for certain. I don't have any JR line chicks - The break in the dorsal stripe that should travel from distinct V on the front of the head, and continuous down the the back ( Appears to me on my screen like a break in color at the back of neck)-- is something that the JR chicks seem to have....But the white head spot definitely isn't real distinct.

As it develops, See if the wing feathers as the start have barring (femalse get barring on theif first wing feathers too though... -- keep an eye on the comb as it develops and if the legs and feet are bigger...could be a little boy. The lightness also may be a clue. --

I will be really interested to hear what chicken pickin' had to say. :O)

Last edited:
Cute little chick - and hard to tell for certain. I don't have any JR line chicks - The break in the dorsal stripe that should travel from distinct V on the front of the head, and continuous down the the back ( Appears to me on my screen like a break in color at the back of neck)-- is something that the JR chicks seem to have....But the white head spot definitely isn't real distinct.

As it develops, See if the wing feathers as the start have barring (femalse get barring on theif first wing feathers too though... -- keep an eye on the comb as it develops and if the legs and feet are bigger...could be a little boy. The lightness also may be a clue. --

I will be really interested to hear what chicken pickin' had to say. :O)
It is common for the JR line to be less distinct than some of the other lines out there. In my limited experience with the JR chicks, so far I have noticed that the females will have the female pattern but there are breaks in the line from head to back and they sometimes are a little less defined having a slight fuzzy look to the V and the head/neck stripe. Again my JR experience is very small and limited. Seeing the new pictures and then comparing them to my own JR chick pictures I am now more inclined to say she is indeed a pullet. Though sometimes chicks that are less defined can fool us.

@angelathomas1 do you know if your chicks are Jill Rees line or other?

Here is one of my JR pullet chicks that looks similar to the chick we are referring to that also had the break in the strip at the neck

Here are pics of the chick in question.

This looks a little bit like my chick that I was wondering about (from Meyer/MPC). She is now 17 weeks and is pretty clearly a pullet now. But I had decided not to breed from her (at least for CLs, could use her for olive eggers), because of the question of her auto sexing clarity.

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom