Cream Legbars

I'm a lurker, I just recently got some Legbars.
Do I remember some folks posting that they got some good hatch rates by keeping the humidity lower than the accepted 'norm' of anywhere from 30% to 50%?
It seems some have posted that 20% humidity seemed to work well.

Thanks, everyone, I'm learning a lot!

I dry hatch, so my humidity runs around 20-25%

Oh and welcome to the Legbar thread

Last edited:
Do I remember some folks posting that they got some good hatch rates by keeping the humidity lower than the accepted 'norm' of anywhere from 30% to 50%?

In one incubator I kept my humidity at the factory default setting of 42. I had a perfect hatch. That was a Rcom incubator. In my Genesis, I did not bother putting any water in it until lockdown and had 39 out of 40 hatch.

So humidity is probably not the issue. Make sure the thermostat in your incubator is accurate. Temperature is so much more important than humidity.

Quote:
I dry incubate but try to keep the humidity around 30 - 35% so I add a bit of water every few days until lockdown then I add more water so I get to about 65%. I think having a good incubator helps and my HOvabator is nice but imperfect and I am terrible at keeping it stable. I have had some terrible lockdown humidity experiences with gooey chicks that zipped and pipped pretty good then stuck there. I don't help so they die in the shells. When I get it right I have great hatches, My last hatch went really well. This one not so good as the plug for the turner got unplugged for a while ( maybe a week or more) before I realized it and I think I let it get too dry at times so the air-cells are too big . I'd love an R-COM but the hubby is not going to go for that.

I have been so bummed with my CL hatches. It seems as though less than half hatch each time.

This past time I set 12 eggs only 8 made it to lockdown, 4 hatched - 1female 3males. each hatch seems the same in terms of how many hatch.

I have another batch that is on day 14, I have already pulled a few quiters, Im expecting the same hatch results though. Its a little discouraging.

In case anyone is wondering my rooster and the pullets are not directly related. I got them from 2 different sources. And my other breeds hatch just fine also. I feel like people mention this often but its never really discussed. I would really like to inprove my CL hatch rates.
Sorry for your frustration---

Since your incubation with all the other breeds is working - and your CL crosses (if I understand rightly) - It could be that although you think that the chickens are not closely related - because they came from two different sources to you--- It could be a couple of things with your particular CL flock. It could be that with the way things work and how all the CLs originally DID come from GFF that they are more closely related than you realize.... I could elaborate---a bit--- I have Isbars that I know are all full brother and sister. I have a friend who got Isbars about 6-months to a year earlier from the same breeder that I got my Isbars from -- I think that there is a good chance that between the two of us -- all our Isbars are full brothers and sisters. If I had bred and sold some and she had bred and sold some -- Although the buyer had gotten from two different sources -- they could still be very close genetically.

I have also heard that in livestock - some breedings are incompatible...a certain male -- just doesn't work - genetically with a certain female. If you have multiple hens, do you track if the pairing with your rooster is more successful with certain hen or hens than with others. A long shot - but it could be something on that level specific to your CL flock? HTH

Whoo HOOO -- welcome!
frow.gif

Oh it gets worse..I am up to 17 different breeds including the rare Marsh Daisy, Ayam Cemani, and Svart Hona. My family thinks I have gone off the reservation.
cool.png

Chicken math. That's all I am going to say. And it all started with the gateway chicken "Cream Legbars".
that's the way my math worked too...thanks for mentioning a breed I have never heard about =)

Back
Top Bottom