Cream Legbars

I've got four hens and a rooster that are 18 weeks old here in Pennsylvania. Any educated guesses on when they will start laying and also when I may start getting some fertile eggs suitable for hatching?
Thanks.

My pullet just started laying. New years day was her first and she is 25 weeks.

Thanks for the input! I was hoping to hatch some chicks in March and it sounds like they should be on track. Look forward to those first blue eggs showing up in the boxes.

This is how my poor CL cock is faring on this cold morning I am so sad for him
hit.gif
Frostbite on the comb and wattles.

I always feel so lost when dealing with frost bite and I have never had one get it on their wattles. I just feel horrible. My Marans cock looks bad too except his wattles and earlobes are very swollen I have never seen such a thing before. I do not like winter at all.

My coops look decent but maybe I need to make some changes to them, Im not sure.

Last edited:
I am sorry chicken pickin. I feel for you as my guy has frostbite on his tips too. He doesn't have it on his wattles yet. I am not sure what to do about it either except to heat my coops which I have mixed feelings about. My coop is insulated and it does stay warmer inside than out by +/- 10 degrees but I am still seeing frostbite on my chickens that have large combs.

On a happier note, I now have two girls laying. And...their earlobes have changed color! From yellow to enamel/white. Which is pretty neat because I didn't think they were going to. I wonder why that is happening?

I am sorry chicken pickin. I feel for you as my guy has frostbite on his tips too. He doesn't have it on his wattles yet. I am not sure what to do about it either except to heat my coops which I have mixed feelings about. My coop is insulated and it does stay warmer inside than out by +/- 10 degrees but I am still seeing frostbite on my chickens that have large combs.

On a happier note, I now have two girls laying. And...their earlobes have changed color! From yellow to enamel/white. Which is pretty neat because I didn't think they were going to. I wonder why that is happening?
That happened to a few of mine also. I had 2 pullets and a cockerel that had yellow earlobes and as they matured, maybe by 5-6months old, the earlobes had turned pure white. I was shocked also but very happy.

On another side of earlobe color I have a hen that had white earlobes until recently I noticed they were now yellow :( Not sure why though. I may end up putting her in my layer flock since maybe that is where the yellow lobes are stemming from. I don't want yellow lobes in my flock.

This is how my poor CL cock is faring on this cold morning I am so sad for him
hit.gif
Frostbite on the comb and wattles.

I always feel so lost when dealing with frost bite and I have never had one get it on their wattles. I just feel horrible. My Marans cock looks bad too except his wattles and earlobes are very swollen I have never seen such a thing before. I do not like winter at all.

My coops look decent but maybe I need to make some changes to them, Im not sure.
so sorry for his frost bite. He is such a beautiful critter too.

good to know that the earlobes can change colors.

Last edited:
It is so funny how winter works on birds. Last year we were as cold as we are now. My cream legbar boys stayed the out side pens and not one of them was touched. I brought one in to the breeding pen and by the 3 day he had some points frozen off. This year I though ok worked last year so did the same. Dang if everyone of them did not get it from really bad to just barely. The only difference I can see is that last year it was a gradual cooling off period and this year we went from 55 to 5 in two days. My barred rock males are just find being outside with sip frozen combs. I have tried putting bagbalm on them and other things but it does not seem to work. Only thing it does is kind of put some medication on them to help heal faster.

Back
Top Bottom