Cream Legbars

thanks for being so welcoming! I will try and take some pics of my girls, they won't be the best by a long chalk though!
smile.png
big_smile.png
tongue.png
lol.png
wee.gif
As you can see not a very good pic or bird, but I love her and the rest of 'em!

Thanks for the picture of your pretty pullet. It's also nice to see different settings as well as hear different phrases - long chalk and grizzly turkey are new ones for me. What type of predator problems do you have in your area?

My girls are maturing nicely. They were busy eating scratch, so not really good participants of pic taking lol but I captured their nice gray bodies well. 8 of them and still only one laying sporadically, maybe lack of sunlight.

They are 7months old

My older girls are molting or just finishing up and look a mess lol.

Nice lighting, great repetition of elements =)
The fluff shot is actually helpful. I was at a show recently with CL and the judges were looking at how the fluffy back end changes the visual balance of the bird, compared to a tighter, smoother under fluff which shows more shape.
What do you see in your CL pullets/hens? Anyone? If you can post side shots on level with the birds (put them up on a table?) maybe we can compare profiles. Thanks.

Thanks sol2go! We are troubled by badgers foxes and weasels mainly, but have had a buzzard incident. Overall not as impressive an array of predators as you must get across the pond. My cream legbars spend most of their time in and around the shrubbery area, so it was rare to see any of them out in the open. :)

Last edited:
Nice lighting, great repetition of elements =)
The fluff shot is actually helpful.  I was at a show recently with CL and the judges were looking at how the fluffy back end changes the visual balance of the bird, compared to a tighter, smoother under fluff which shows more shape.  
What do you see in your CL pullets/hens?  Anyone?  If you can post side shots on level with the birds (put them up on a table?) maybe we can compare profiles.  Thanks.

Here are a few from the last few years.

Quote:
Looking good! Love the barring. I miss my Legbars. I may get some eggs next spring from the guy who purchased my birds last year. He did not breed any so far so I don't know what they could look like this generation. But I miss them and I just don't know if I want to do 2 breeds but I'd like to grow some out to see what I would have had if I had kept them... maybe. He also has a Rees rooster from the batch that I got last spring/summer. What did you think of the Rees birds? Did you mate them? Waiting on the Marans boys to mature so I can see what I have if anything.

Hi, thanks for the visuals. I realize the pictures, timing, angle, stance etc are all variable, so my comments are based only on what is shown.
These two pullet pics best illustrate the differences as I understand it.

The first pic would be considered more balanced because the chest line makes a smooth arc from the neck down to the legs, AND continues that same arc as it sweeps back up towards the tail.

The second pic shows a break or step in that line. The chest line sweeps down to the legs, but that arc is broken by the fluff on the other side of the legs, as it steps down, adding some visual bottom weight which is why it is considered unbalanced. From the back or top view, the fluff would also stick out more to the sides. I think that is true regardless of pelvic width. It seems like a higher tail angle also emphasizes the visual weight of wide fluff.

I was sorry to hear that as I do like the fluff, but it was a pretty universal opinion in discussions with judges and others.

added - the CL males didn't seem to draw that same focus, although that did cost points with other breeds

Last edited:
Quote: I really like the Rees females, they are really nice looking. The Rees males that I have hatched haven't been my favorite, so many faults all around. Im sure with loads of work they could get better. But it is my opinion that the original Rees line is maybe a female line. I have seen many many nice females thrown from not very nice Rees males. Of course I have no fact to that, just my opinion. My Rees male is nothing to show off, he has many faults but he with my Rees hens have produced some nice females.

Your line was really nice though, of course Im biased because my original 2 hens came from your flock and they went on to make some wonderful looking males. If you decide to get some of your own stock back I hope you will post back with how they are looking.

I stopped breeding CL so I wont have much further insight than what I already know. I do still have 1 male, and 14 pullets/hens, but just for fun not breeding and I will eventually cull that number down.

I selected these three pics for another illustration. btw - thanks for the examples, no harm intended - I realize I don't have the benefit of more information, so thanks for offering this up.

Again, the first pullet has a clean arc from the neck, down the chest, through the legs, and back up to the tail.

The second and third pics do not have a clean arc, and they have different shapes compared to each other. I'll just leave it at that.

I selected these three pics for another illustration. btw - thanks for the examples, no harm intended - I realize I don't have the benefit of more information, so thanks for offering this up.

Again, the first pullet has a clean arc from the neck, down the chest, through the legs, and back up to the tail.

The second and third pics do not have a clean arc, and they have different shapes compared to each other. I'll just leave it at that.

Thank you for the comparison!

I have what may be an odd question. About a week ago, I was holding Lissa (I like to pick up and hold each of them at least once a week to check on them - and she loves being cuddled anyway). I turned to look at her, and her earlobe looked like it was turning turquoise blue! I turned her around in my arms, and the other earlobe is that same clean bright white as it has always been. Now, about a week later, it seems to be fading a little bit back to white. I *think* she laid her first egg today (outside of nest box - vs. Paula's good laying habits, smaller than Paula's ones by 14 grams - but very similar color - terrible for selecting eggs to hatch. If it was hers, Paula also didn't lay today, which is why I'm less sure...).

Here's a photo I took at the time (she also has a scratch):

Has anyone seen this before? Thoughts?

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom