CREATE YOUR OWN BREED OF CHICKEN

So, I have rethought my mille fleur silkie idea. Spangled is much easier to accomplish, mille fleur from what I can tell is very very complicated. (aka, very very recessive, lol)

So here's what I'm thinking of using rather than a d'uccle: A spitzhauben. It already has dark colored legs and a crest. I also understand they are rather friendly. A partridge silkie seems to be the most recessive of all the colors I've tried on this calculator. http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
+
Silver spangled roo to partridge hen =

Silver spangled hens and gold/yellow spangled roos. The color is described as 'incomplete spangling'. I imagine this means the whole bird won't be covered in spots, but just have some spots.

Partridge roo to silver spangled hen=

Gold spangled hens and gold/yellow spangled roos. Once again, color is described as 'incomplete spangling'

Added bonus seems to be that the F1 cross is sex-linked!

Spotted, penciled, and solid are the combos that are possible in the F2, even if crossing back to partridge! I think this might only take F3 or F4 before the silkie type would be mostly back, with spangling or penciling!

Unfortunately, I think spitzhaubens would probably fly out of my 4' fenced yard....I understand they can fly rather well for chickens.

Last edited:
I'm working on a blue buff columbian with a rose comb. They'd be heavy birds like the Wyandottes and Orpingtons they're coming from but hopefully will lay as well as our Orpingtons always have since I would be working with:
blrw x buff
blue laced buff x buff.
I don't do meat birds but I love the colors and I do like my heavier birds more than my light ones(that might have to do with the fact that they like me more haha).

I want to cross Batman,my silkie roo,to my adult black sex link and see if I can get a fluffy feathered sex link.or cross my silkie hen baby with Sparta my OEGB rooster and see what I can get

Have fun with that. I was also going to create my own breed of silkie. The giant silkie Chicken. I am going to hatch some brahma chickens next spring, and cross the hens with my silkies.

Have fun with that. I was also going to create my own breed of silkie. The giant silkie Chicken. I am going to hatch some brahma chickens next spring, and cross the hens with my silkies.

there are LF silkies. a friend of mine had them many years ago. we are trying to find them but unfortunately it seems nobody has them in greece. in the past he got the eggs from germany.

LF = large fowl.
I want to cross my Spitzhauben rooster with my Sebright hen (both are silver) The fiesty little Sebright , who is older, hasn't yet agreed with my idea. But maybe this coming year he will win her over.
I am looking forward to the results!

Back
Top Bottom