Creating a new breed

Pics

MelissaRose

R.I.P. Lissie
6 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Maine
Hey!
I want to breed a new kind of chicken to practice breeding, genetics, and stuff, and to create something that is everything I like in a chicken.

I have a list of the details I want it to have, and some breeds that I have that I can use to create this new breed.

Below is a list of the breeds I have, and what I want this chicken to look like:

Silkies:
Buff silkie hen with dark markings
Two "partridge" silkie roosters that don't have enough red
Splash silkie hen missing a toenail

EE/americanas
Gray barnyard mix hen - lays blue eggs
Goldish brown hen - lays blue eggs
Brownish hen - lays blue eggs

Wyandottes:
7 golden laced hens

Other:
Quail d'anver bantam hen with white
Barnevelder hen
White rock hen
Barnyard mix cockerel
Salmon faverolle hen
Black australorpe I think cockerel
10 red star pullets
5 light brahma pullets

Muffs
-Silkie, ee, americana,

Crest
-Silkie

Five toes
-Silkie

Clean legs
-Red star, wyandotte, ee, americana, rock

Black skin
-Silkie

Blue or green eyes
-?

Blue ear lobes
-Silkie

Blue eggs
-Ee, americana

Good layer
-Ee, americana, red star, rock, wyandotte

Average size
-Ee, americana, red star, rock, wyandotte

Lemon Splash coloring?
-?

Let me know if you have suggestions about how I could create this breed. I'm not very good at this stuff.

If I cross a silkie with a standard normal feathered breed, it will still have a crest wont it?

What would be the first step to creating this chicken?

Also, does something like this already exist?

Thanks!

It would appear that you are describing a Standard sized Silkie without shank feathering that lays blue eggs.

Hatchery type Silkies sometimes come without feathering shanks, you may want to start there and then add the blue egg shell gene to it which is quite strait forward.

Hatchery Silkie chick without shank feathering From: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-with-no-feathers-on-feet.876910/

So I'm 100% this is a silkie... I think... Black skin, 5 toes, fluffy, beak just right, and just everything silkie but it's lacking feathers on its feet! Is this for sure a silkie and why doesn't it hae feathered feet. Got it from TSC

If I cross a silkie with a standard normal feathered breed, it will still have a crest wont it?

What would be the first step to creating this chicken?
Silkie feathered cross to a normal feathered chicken will produce normal feathering because silkie feathering is recessive.

The first cross would be to cross a Silkie rooster to your "Americanas", then you can do a back cross to Silkies or Sibling to Sibling cross and see what you get.

It would appear that you are describing a Standard sized Silkie without shank feathering that lays blue eggs.

Hatchery type Silkies sometimes come without feathering shanks, you may want to start there and then add the blue egg shell gene to it which is quite strait forward.

Hatchery Silkie chick without shank feathering From: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-with-no-feathers-on-feet.876910/

Silkie feathered cross to a normal feathered chicken will produce normal feathering because silkie feathering is recessive.

The first cross would be to cross a Silkie rooster to your "Americanas", then you can do a back cross to Silkies or Sibling to Sibling cross and see what you get.

ok, thanks for that helpful info!

ok, thanks for that helpful info!
It would be much easier if you were okay having feathered shanks. even if you were looking for normal feathering.

Silkie x Americana/EE = F1s will have normal feathers and shank feathering and lay blue eggs, you may just want to stop at F1 due to EEs being more productive than silkies and the F1 will be black skined and larger than silkies.

You may want to search in google for Silkie Easter Egger cross or Silkie Ameraucana cross

It would be much easier if you were okay having feathered shanks. even if you were looking for normal feathering.

Silkie x Americana/EE = F1s will have normal feathers and shank feathering and lay blue eggs, you may just want to stop at F1 due to EEs being more productive than silkies and the F1 will be black skined and larger than silkies.

You may want to search in google for Silkie Easter Egger cross or Silkie Ameraucana cross
Ok. Yes feathered shanks are ok. I will check out those suggestions on google. Thanks for your help!

Or you could breed a blue egg laying Silkie to an Ameraucana. (True pure pred).

There is someone here who sells hatching eggs from Silkies that lay blue eggs. That would save you several years of work.

Or you could breed a blue egg laying Silkie to an Ameraucana. (True pure pred).

There is someone here who sells hatching eggs from Silkies that lay blue eggs. That would save you several years of work.
ok.
Do you happen to know how much the hatching eggs cost?
I don't want to spend too much money on this. That is a good idea though. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom