Creating autosexing breed from Blue Plymouth Rock Sexlinks?

Dairyguy100

Chirping
Dec 12, 2018
Would it be possible to use the parent stock that makes blue Plymouth rocks to create an autosexing breed the same way they made legbars? But instead of using a brown leghorn, replace it with a Blue Andalusian? I know the blue gene is sketchy and kinda inconsistent but would love to experiment with making an autosexing version of blue Plymouth rocks. But if the blue gene is a problem maybe I will have to try something else. Thanks!

It would be very hard to create an autosexing breed from sexlinks. That hybridization would make it difficult to breed out the traits you don't want. You are better off getting an autosexing breed.

No you can't make anything autosexing like a legbar without using a duckwing type pattern.
Blue also isn't going to work since it doesn't breed true.

No you can't make anything autosexing like a legbar without using a duckwing type pattern.

There are plenty of patterns and phenotype that could lend themselves to be used as Autosexing when in combination with wild-type e+ and sex linked barring for example, the Duckwing(CCL, Welbar etc), Millefleur(55 Flowery), Columbian(Silver, gold for example rhodebars), Silver/Gold Laced(Wybars) Self Buff(while no self buff autosexing breed exists, I dont see any reason why replacing wheaten with wildtype e+ will make any difference in the Buff Barred/Buff Cuckoo pattern).

But to the OP question.

You dont have the correct e allele configuration to produce true breeding autosexing from the stock you have(at least the blue rocks)

Last edited:
There are plenty of patterns and phenotype that could lend themselves to be used as Autosexing when in combination with wild-type e+ and sex linked barring for example, the Duckwing(CCL, Welbar etc), Millefleur(55 Flowery), Columbian(Silver, gold for example rhodebars), Silver/Gold Laced(Wybars) Self Buff(while no self buff autosexing breed exists, I dont see any reason why replacing wheaten with wildtype e+ will make any difference in the Buff Barred/Buff Cuckoo pattern).

But to the OP question.

You dont have the correct e allele configuration to produce true breeding autosexing from the stock you have(at least the blue rocks)
Not exactly what you're trying to tell me.
OP mentioned replacing the brown leghorn with blue andalusion to make a legbar type of autosexing. I mentioned duckwing type to say you can't replace it with an extended black type like andalusion to make a legbar type.
What's with "millefleur (55 flowery)"? 55s are straight silver or gold duckwing with mottling and barring

What's with "millefleur (55 flowery)"? 55s are straight silver or gold duckwing with mottling and barring
Some of the 55 flowery hens seem to be columbian restricted. Perhaps my eyes were playing tricks on me

In any case I stand with what I said, the "Duckwing" phenotype is not the only phenotype one can use to create Autosexing breeds

Perhaps you are confusing Duckwing phenotype with the wildtype e+ allele?

I dont think it's possible with the Plymouth being a sexlink but could be wrong as genetics isn't my thing just know the bare basics

Some of the 55 flowery hens seem to be columbian restricted. Perhaps my eyes were playing tricks on me

In any case I stand with what I said, the "Duckwing" phenotype is not the only phenotype one can use to create Autosexing breeds

Perhaps you are confusing Duckwing phenotype with the wildtype e+ allele?
I was just commenting to the OPs idea of replacing the brown leghorns with a andalusion to make a legbar type.
All I was meaning was you can't take out the leghorn duckwing and replace with an extended black and that blue wouldn't work because it doesn't breed true.
Of course there's many different patterns that can be used for autosexing.
I was trying to keep it simple to not get too confusing. I'm sure I worded all different then you would of.
Of course you're very much by the book with your replies and ive never opened the book let alone studied it.
You gotta remember I'm just a hillbilly genetics guy.

Here's a couple pics of my 55s. They're from GFF.
20180706_180658-1_2.jpg
20180706_180631-1_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom