creating sex-links?

bluefeather2697

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
hi guys. im a newbie in chicken breeding. all i know is that if a colored roo tops a white hen, it'll produce a sex-link. so i'd like to ask if i will create a sex-link using these:

i have 1 'kabir' rooster. a famous dual-purpose type (here in PH). it can lay approximately 200 eggs per cycle and can weigh up to 8.5 pounds, they're like red rangers, good foragers, and good mother. can be broody twice per year.

his pic :D

and im planning to breed that roo with my WL hens. they're ex-batts actually. recovering very well. im planning to introduce them to my kabir on april when my hens are fully recovered.

her pic. :D

do you think they'll produce sex-links? thanks :D
:cd :cd :cd :cd :cd :cd :cd

The hens need to have the "silver factor", and leghorns don't have that. Most of the white breeds have "dominate white", not silver, which is needed for making the sex-links.
According the the info on here about breeding sex-links, the only breed that has the "silver factor" is the Rhode Island White.

Here is the thread about breeding sex-links:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

Here's another thread about an RIR x WL:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nswer-to-this-cross-rir-roo-x-wht-leghorn-hen

I have that cross.

roo:
42512_chickens_009.jpg

hen:I didn 't have a pic of her by herself
42512_chickens_011.jpg

chick:
42512_chickens_034.jpg

adolescents:
these chicks hatched together from the above parents.
42512_023.jpg

i don't know what you would call them.... but they are really sweet. well, mine are anyway.

Hope this helps.

actually they are...
wink.png

you could use a Silkie roo with that white leghorn hen to produce sex links... but that boy you are showing will not work because of all the dominant genes on the white leghorn

White Leghorns are Dominate White.

Chris

Quote:

There are,
Delaware, Columbian pattern breeds, Silver Duck-Wing pattern breeds, Silver Laced breeds, Silver Penciled breeds, Salmon Faverolle etc.

Chris

and white leghorns.. they are sex link silver. they are also Self Black with dominant white ofcourse..

Where are you getting white leghorns that are sex-link silver?
Every last white leghorn I've seen was dominant white and when crossed with lets say a Rhode Island Red would produce all white offspring with some black flicks [if any].

Chris

Back
Top Bottom