Creator of the Labradoodle has major regrets...

I heard they are good for kids with allergies. I thought about getting one for a while but decided that my ds is too allergic to dogs to risk it. My sisters friend has 2 and they are great dogs. Personally I like mutts better than pure bred dogs and thought this combo was interesting. I would not pay over $500 for one though.

Supposedly the puppy i just got is a non shedder too.. shes a bichon/shizu mix..
we will see... she'll proably shed like crazy!
lol.png

I think a well thought out cross is excellent, done in the right hands and with the right breeder. It is no different than crossing chickens to get a unique color or different egg or meat production.

Purebred dogs are purebred dogs and alot have their own set of health issues not to mention personality issues.

A "mutt" typically is a healthier dog due to new genetic vitality.

A mix of two great dogs isn't an abomination and if people are willing to pay for them then why is it an issue?

The buyer needs to do their homework just the same as someone who buys hatching eggs from "backyard breeders"

Some chicken breeders are great and some are not. We wouldn't have some beautiful new types of chickens without crossbreeeding.

Look at Big Medicines new Wyandottes. Gorgeous.

I have thought about crossing my Standard Poodle with a Labrador to make the best of both breeds. Not for $ but I think that cross is an excellent one. I just don't want to have to deal with puppies at the moment.

Something that comes to mind when creating new breeds or crosses: chickens are considered food, dogs are not (at least in this country.) So breeding tons of chicks to get specific traits doesn't really add to an overpopulation/not enough homes problem like it does with companion animals like dogs. With chickens you can eat your culls. Some shelters put down puppies by the wheelbarrowfull.

I'm not against responsible breeders breeding dogs; they know what they are doing and do it for love of the breed, not money. Yet there is so much irresponsibility out there, it just irks me to see people creating mutts on purpose and selling them as some wonderful new breed. When there is no need for animal shelters, because there are too many good homes, then I'll change my mind.

BTW, I prefer mutts over purebreds too, and I look for them at shelters/rescues.

Good point. I think that there are just as many if not more issues with "Purebred" dog owners trying to make fast money and capitilizing on their breed.

Just because you own a purebred dog doesn't mean that dog will be a good dog. Personality not pedigree make a great dog. If the majority of pet owners (including cat owners) would take the time and spend the money to spay or neuter their animals then we wouldn't have the over population we do now.

I think many people are afraid that it will "alter" the personality of their animal or create health issues in the future. More info needs to be put out there to enlighten the general population.

Quote:
my problem with getting a shelter dog is:
1: most shelters are in it for the money too... Otherwise they would not charge OVER $400 for a dog that desperately needs a home
2: i learned my lesson about taking in adult dogs.... they usually come with some sort of baggage.. and i cant any risks with the foster care job i do...
I had always said that i'd never take in an adult dog because i wont REALLY know how it was raised.. what EXACTLY happend to it before the shelter and EXACTLY what its triggers could be,...
But i went aganist my beliefs once and i had a big problem on my hands .. the dog was great SUCH a love bug... we still do miss him today...( we still get to see him also..a case worker at my job took him..)
BUT.. he had some weird triggers that i wasnt told about.. and he would growl and stare down hubby if hubby called him away from me... and he did the same with my foster son...
The dog trainer said that something had to have happend between his owners.... something to do with a male man and him feeling like he had to protect the lady owner.. (and the reason that the dog needed to be rehomed was because of divorce.. so there was probably abuse in the home)
I found him a great home with lots of Dane experience..but he STILL does the same thing there...
but they are willing to handle it.... i wasnt taking ANY risks...
So..thats why shelter dogs scare me...
The only dogs i want now are puppies that i have raised and trust 100%...
But thats just me...
I DO feel so bad for them in shelters... I hate how they have to live..
Honestly..if i ever had to get rid of a dog and couldnt find a good home for it myself.. i would have the dog put down... none of my dogs will ever ever go to a shelter..

Last edited:
Quote:
$400!?!?! Some rescues I've seen are $300, and I thought the same thing - I can't pay that much for a dog, but it doesn't mean they won't have a good home here. Usually the cost includes spay/neuter, shots, microchip, but still prohibitive. Kinda works like gov't: they need money, so some figure they'll charge more for their service, when they could actually make more by charging a lower, more reasonable price
roll.png

Quote:
I don't think there's a dog I could trust 100%, even one I raised from a pup. 99.999%, yes, but any animal can be unpredictable. Our first family dog we all loved and trusted with our lives, but there's always a slim chance something happens, even with the perfect dog. JMO. We also had a rescue a couple years ago that had to be put down due to child aggressiveness; broke our hearts, but he had a great year with us before the end. My dream is to adopt senior dogs to give them some true golden years so they don't have to die in shelters. But only when our kids are old enough to be most respectful.

Very true.. there is no dog you can trust 100%.....i misspoke.
But at least if i raise the dog i will have a much better knowledge of that dogs FULL temperment;..
i'll know ALL their little quirks... know what i mean?
Yeah..the shelter here is so expensive.. i think for a small breed dog it was well over $400-$450 mark.. (i'll have to check the site again..but i think i'm correct on the prices..)
if you want a large breed dog its more money...
hmm.png

I do understand that they have to make money somehow.... i know...
its almost a no win situation... they charge high prices and so noone adopts... they have to charge high prices to care for the animals... its a vicious circle...

ETA.. i just checked the site.. its $375 for adult dogs and $450 for pups...

Last edited:
Quote:
Those are nice mix. They are both LGD breeds, and they complement each other well.

Working dogs are different than show dogs. They have a purpose. I cross pyr/anatolian or pyr/ maremma for LGDs. It has purpose.

About the original topic, Labradoodles are so hyper. I don't think people considered the hyperness of both breeds before they combined them. I do like goldendoodles. They aren't as hyper. But we have enough dogs, so I don't have one right now. But both labradoodles and goldendoodles are beautiful.

And I also think that shelters/rescues sometimes waaayyyyyy overcharge. Very few people are willing to pay three hundred dollars for an older dog, sometimes a 5yo+. If they are in it for the dogs, then they would charge a reasonable fee. Most local pounds are more reasonable than rescues.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's so, odd. Usually larger dogs are harder to place so they charge less. Is that one local shelter, or are they all that way? We've got at least one for each county, and live at the crux of several so there are at least 4 shelters within 30 minutes. Not to mention the private rescues. Some rescues even waive the fee on old dogs and ones they've had a while. maybe your shelters could use a good person to show them some marketing skills and tricks to fundraise......

I do understand about having more peace of mind with a pup...shelters often have lots of puppies
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom