Crele Phoenix?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CrazyChicks, May 11, 2009.

1. CrazyChicks

CrazyChicks Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Ok, I have never heard of(or seen) this color of Phoenix. Could they be crossed with something to get this color?
    Does anyone else have this color of phoenix??
    I found one just like him for sale and wanted to get someone else's opinion.
    Here is the website, if the picture doesnt work. He is the second picture. http://www.mirkwoodpoultry.com/mirkwood_flock.htm

[​IMG]

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    True Crele is simply barring over a black breasted red bird. The same barring as seen on Barred Rocks, Cuckoo Marans etc. All you need is to introduce the barring gene into a line of BBR Phoenix..

By the way.. I have a cuckoo hen, she proved not pure for the black gene so it's possible to get creles or crele-like birds by crossing her with a BBR roo. I am no longer interested in keeping the longtails so the remaining trio is available.. (birchen roo with Fibromelanotic<black skin>, one blue hen and the above mentioned cuckoo hen).

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Are you talking about the one on eggbid right now? If so he is my moms bird. Crele can be easy to get if you know what you are doing.

4. CrazyChicks

May 5, 2009
  5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Thanks. What color hens do you have to cross him with? She crossed him with light browns and I think maybe a silver hen. His babies are great looking and showing signs of nice type and tail. If you cross him to some golden hens or light brown/BBR hens you should get all creles.

Before I moved out I plucked a saddle feather and it was close to 7 or 8 inches atleast. His tail should fill in this summer if you keep him in a cage by himself for abit.

6. CrazyChicks

May 5, 2009
    I have two silvers hen and a golden hen, but I am also looking for a BBR or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by