Crele?

Ok, well, from the info and the pictures posted the roo is probably a BB red. My two little darker black hens (not pictured) look EXACTLY like the brown reds on that link and the other hens probably aren't bb red or brown red so to sum it up, I have nothing that will make crele with my little barred OEG roo
barnie.gif

Sigh, there was someone on eBay selling them, lol, I guess, I'll look there.

Edited to say:
After looking over the bb red hens on the site, I really do think the hens may be bb reds so maybe I have something to work with after all. I really do love the color.

Last edited:
Quote:
With any of these varieties you will get someting very similar to crele. It looks like they are already a mixed pen (which of course means that their E-allleles a re likely mixed as well. Is there a reason you want true crele versus a very similar appearing variety?

I don't know, I guess if I am going to do it, I want to do it right. They are still very young and in a cage type brooder right now, they will be seperated before they are old enough to breed. Thanks to Chris, I now know how I can get to crele from the birds I have. Thanks to all for the help, it has been a color that I have been interested in for a while.

Last edited:
Becky, If you look at the chart you will see the first mating, Gold male X barred/cuckoo hen, is made to give an impure barred cockerel for the next step. You can also get this by mating a cuckoo male over a gold hen, but will need to cull all the pullets from the program.

BBR, Black Breasted Red is a colour/pattern and is the natural colour of all Birchen,Wheaten, Wild type & Brown cockerels. What you want is wild type birds, ask a good OEG breeder for Partridge hens, and Partridge bred BBR cockerels.
David

In the USA, Partridge is Brown(eb).

For a true crele, ask for red duckwing or BBR. Creles are relatively common though, it may be possible to get Crele hens and breed them with your rooster. Only sons will be crele, but will be easy to breed them back to crele hens to get 'pure creles'.

Quote:
I presume the "duckwing stripe" being referred to is the wing bow where the male sex feathers are located on the wing, which is also in what is referred to as in the pyle zone, correct.
I see some referring to the "wing triangle" which is what I've always thought is the shape of the wing and used in orientation/position of the wing.
hu.gif
hum.....scratching head as confusion is trying to soak in
idunno.gif

catdaddy

Last edited:
It's the brown patch on the (rooster)secondaries- the long "wing feathers" on the upper arm section.

The term for birds lacking this duckwing pattern is "crowwing", they can still have the pyle zone on the arm but the flights are black, so no duckwing patch. Birchens, brown reds are good examples of colored crowwings, they have color on hackles, wing bow, saddles but rest of wing is even colored.

From website linked to earlier:

Duckwing

Crowwing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom