Crele?

Quote:
the duckwing stripe I refer to is located between the wing bow and the flights (the wing bow being that big color sheild on the shoulder). the wing triangle (also known as the wing bay) are the secondary flight feathers which in duckwings and wheatons create a triangle of color. in the crow wing colors this section are solid black (or blue or chocolate, depending).

while the e^b allele is brown and is responsible for the partridge color in wyandottes, brahmas, etc (and for the rare partridge old english bantams found in the U.S. which have already been discussed) The reason I brought up partridge and b.b. red being the same thing is that in the country of origin for the Old English bantam they have what are referred to as black breasted light reds and black brested reds, with the hens either being wheaton, clay, or partridge bred. The partridge bred birds are not e^b, they are e+ (as characterized by the striped chick down) which is what we refer to as b.b. red.

Thanks for the clarification there V-comb, I'll get all this stuff a little at a time, there's a lot of info. to soak up when it comes to these gene subjects. It just amazes me at all the different combos of genes it takes to make somthing that seems as simple as color patterns. All you geneticist keep up the good work it is a very interresting topic to me and I'm sure a lot of chicken enthusiast.

catdaddy

Quote:
I would say e^b is always the most recessive, and e^Wh is mostly recessive to e+ because of the ubiquitious melanizers present in our fowl.

I am going by what I have read--you have a lot more experience and are probably wider read. Genetics of Chicken Colours lists the order of dominance I stated. Kazjaps website has a fairly extensive discussion on the E alleles at http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_elocus Be sure to read to the end of the section as the initial information listed includes all the previously proposed alleles, but the later portions include the DNA sequencing findings. A lot is more technical than I can thoroughly understand. ("...amino acid sequence of the gene (Met71Thr and Glu92Lys). ...only has the Glu92Lys mutation and lacks the Met71Thr" for example)

I was going to ask about additional birchen alleles, but I see that they are referred to here, If you can explain them in plain language
wink.png
I would be ever so grateful.

Also, Karen listed a "queen silvia" E allele. This is the only place I ever saw that allele mentioned--what does it reference?

OK, now I'm really confused.
On http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_elocus they said that the Solid Black Plymouth Rock is (E/eb ml+ Co/co+ id+/id+ w/w)...
But I know that the Black Plymouth Rock is a Sport from the Barred Plymouth Rock just like the White Plymouth Rock is, so what happen to the barring gene ( B )?
All so How did it get the ml (Normal Melantoic) and Co/co (Columbian) gene?

Chris

Well, no biggy.
It is just that we had some wheaten/e^b serama crosslings that started out showing the e^b typical barring pattern but ended up typical wheaten looking.
I started a topic on the-coop about it a while ago.
Perhaps with a bit more melanizers the experiment would have turned out else.

Wheaten/e+ crosslings are typical e+ looking but the females without a complete salmon breast (red shifted outward to shoulders)

Forwarded your question on queen silva...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom