Creme Legbar x Araucana

Nasnro

Songster
6 Years
Nov 6, 2015
Ireland
Hello!
I'm new to breeding chickens. I have crossed a Creme Legbar roo with Araucana hens. The hens that I hatched came out as a barred black and white color and look very similar to the Araucana. They lay a small light green egg. If i were to sell the hens, what would I call them? A barred Araucana? or would they be considerd a hybrid? I can attach an Image of them tomorrow if that helps.
Thanks,
Ronan

Thanks for your replys. The CLB hens lay a bright blue egg and the Araucauna hens lay a light green egg. The Irish standard calls for either a blue or light green egg.

If I were to get a "Barred Araucauna" would I have to breed the crosses back to an purebred Araucauna To reinforce the Araucauna genetics? Or how would I go about it?

Thanks for your replys. The CLB hens lay a bright blue egg and the Araucauna hens lay a light green egg. The Irish standard calls for either a blue or light green egg.

If I were to get a "Barred Araucauna" would I have to breed the crosses back to an purebred Araucauna To reinforce the Araucauna genetics? Or how would I go about it?
I think that's how line breeding works, yes, and how you get new colors into a breed, but it would take many generations for them to be pure. I think barred aracaunas would be pretty.

A hybrid is a mix between species.
I beg to differ. The term definitely refers to cross-species breeding, but can also refer to crosses within the same species to achieve desired traits. A hybrid tomato, for example as opposed to an heirloom tomato strain. In the realm of chickens, a production hybrid like an ISA Brown has been bred for a high rate of egg laying, or a Cornish X that is a meat hybrid that’s been bred for rapid growth. Hybrids do not breed true, as would certainly be the case of the F1 generation that the OP has created. By using line breeding, as you pointed out, the OP can select for the specific traits desired for their project end goals, and create a more uniform genetic blend.

Attachments

• 832B3FB8-2105-438E-B767-CF30C11308F4.jpeg
    832B3FB8-2105-438E-B767-CF30C11308F4.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom