Crested breeds

Chicken 34

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Hartwell ga
Can somebody tell me about crested breeds such as sultans and top hat specials from murray mcmurray?
I have had chickens for 3 years but I know nothing about this breed. Looking to order some

My Sultans are not from McMurray but from Meyer. I ordered 5 and 3 have survived to be 17 weeks old now, one rooster and two hens. They are very docile and will not defend themselves. Mine will soon be in a coop by themselves, as I want pure breds anyway. They did have coccidiosis right after they arrived, which killed one and almost another, but Sulmet saved my remaining chicks, 14 in all. I would suggest putting a vitamin and electrolyte supplement in their water for the first 5 days and monitor them very closely for diarrhea and simply falling over for no good reason. You probably know, these are signs of coccidiosis. The vet said my other Sultan had a vitamin deficiency that caused one of its legs to turn almost backwards. While he was giving it vitamin injections, it either died from shock or he put the needle in the wrong place. Either way, I lost another chick that day. Don't let my story scare you away from this breed. They are beautiful, docile little birds that are worth the trouble! Just keep a close eye on them, as they are somewhat fragile.

Thank you so much. I order from murray mcmurray and they get vaccinated for coccidiosis and mareks disease. I'm sorry about your chicks and I realize things happen. I will watch after them closely when I get them. One more question will they get along with my already existing flock. Thanks again for the feedback and good luck with your flock.
thumbsup.gif
goodpost.gif

They will get along great with your existing flock. If anything, your existing flock may pick on them. Mine does and they have all been raised in the same living quarters. The other chickens figure out pretty quickly that these little guys won't fight back.

No, I don't know anything about those breeds, but I see that you got some replies. I am looking to replace 3 hens that a predator/s? got the other day!! So sad--heartbreaking!! I do let my big laying hens free-range. Hoping to replace a barred rock, black orpington, and new hampshire red, or buff orpington! Trying to find some to buy that aren't too far away!!! Seems like there are alot of chicken people in western GA, close to AL!!! I have 6 baby silkies for sale, and new baby cochins/frizzles that just hatched out!! I let the mother silkies hatch out the babies!! I allso have 2 or 3 drake ducks for sale--real pretty, multi-colored/ tan and white. Good to hear from you! Hope things are going well for you!! Sometimes, at night when I'm doing chores in the dark, I wonder if I should give up my chickens and ducks!! But I do enjoy them, when I'm home!!!

Go to murraymcmurrayhatchery.com they will ship over night. Sorry about your chickens. I hope this helps. If you need anything just ask.
D.gif

Thanks, I will try McMurray next time I special order. I'm sure I will be needing lots of advice, as I just purchased 50 RIR and 25 buff orp chicks in the past 2 weeks from a local farmer. Have lost two, but I think they just couldn't figure out how to eat and drink. I'm brooding them in a baby play pen with the sides covered. So far so good! Hoping for lots of hens but will just have to wait and see. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom