Crested Runner ducks

CaliFarmsAR

Free Ranging
5 Years
Apr 26, 2019
Arkansas
Hi I have been reading here on BYC about the crested Runner duck and would love to have one but I love to breed and I read the they have a problem! Is that true? If so I won't get any. I'm in to breed,sale,etc. Thanks for your time.

Crested ducks have literally a hole in their skull, that is filled with a fatty tumor, causing the feathers to form a crest.
Mating is dangerous for the female crested duck, as the drakes may try to hold on to the crest feathers and may not only rip out the feathers, but also that tumor tissue itself, which can kill the duck.
The crest is caused by a gene defect, that can cause the duckling to die in the egg, when it is passed down from both parents into one offspring.
For those reasons i never wanted crested ducks, but with this year's spring ducklings i received two Magpie ducklings with a crest. Same happened to @Magnolia Ducks .
I will not breed my crested ducks ever.

Crested ducks have literally a hole in their skull, that is filled with a fatty tumor, causing the feathers to form a crest.
Mating is dangerous for the female crested duck, as the drakes may try to hold on to the crest feathers and may not only rip out the feathers, but also that tumor tissue itself, which can kill the duck.
The crest is caused by a gene defect, that can cause the duckling to die in the egg, when it is passed down from both parents into one offspring.
For those reasons i never wanted crested ducks, but with this year's spring ducklings i received two Magpie ducklings with a crest. Same happened to @Magnolia Ducks .
I will not breed my crested ducks ever.
If it was a drake would that work?

If it was a drake would that work?
It depends: If you have more than one drake, other drakes tend to drag their competitors of the duck and grab them by their neck, so a drake with a crest would also be vulnerable. I just don't promote the creation of further crested ducks. To me it is like a cat without fur, dogs with no ears - genetic defects that should not be supported. Just my own personal opinion.

It depends: If you have more than one drake, other drakes tend to drag their competitors of the duck and grab them by their neck, so a drake with a crest would also be vulnerable. I just don't promote the creation of further crested ducks. To me it is like a cat without fur, dogs with no ears - genetic defects that should not be supported. Just my own personal opinion.

Back
Top Bottom