***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
That's a great weight! My boys average about that weight now. I started with them being between 4.5-5lb. You've got yourself a good start! Please keep us updated on their/your progress!

Hey, I am very intrigued by how intelligent this breed is supposed to be and I love how they look. The biggest question I have is what climates are they able to live in? I live in Maine and it can get very wet and very cold up here, and often both at once.

Hey, I am very intrigued by how intelligent this breed is supposed to be and I love how they look. The biggest question I have is what climates are they able to live in? I live in Maine and it can get very wet and very cold up here, and often both at once.

With crested birds there'll be less likelihood of battling frostbitten combs from freezing temps -- a real plus!

Thought you all might be interested to know, if you don't already, that The Livestock Conservancy has a Crevecoeur breeding project. One of their directors has a good sized flock that she is breeding for production traits as well as to the SOP. I've read her Facebook page, and I'm impressed with her dedication to this breed. We need these dedicated breeders hatching in large numbers to get this breed back to where it should be. Unfortunately, the main issue with her birds is size, but it is improving.

Here's the Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/CrevecoeurConservation/

Here's the link to a Mother Earth New blog that she is writing about getting beginning breeders off on the right track. She ain't raising no pet chickens either.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/the-chicken-codex-part-1-zbcz1701

Thought you all might be interested to know, if you don't already, that The Livestock Conservancy has a Crevecoeur breeding project. One of their directors has a good sized flock that she is breeding for production traits as well as to the SOP. I've read her Facebook page, and I'm impressed with her dedication to this breed. We need these dedicated breeders hatching in large numbers to get this breed back to where it should be. Unfortunately, the main issue with her birds is size, but it is improving.

Here's the Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/CrevecoeurConservation/

Here's the link to a Mother Earth New blog that she is writing about getting beginning breeders off on the right track. She ain't raising no pet chickens either.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/the-chicken-codex-part-1-zbcz1701

That is good news!

As far as size, some people might actually like the size Crevies are now. When I was looking into smaller large fowl breeds the lighter size of the Crevie is what kept me interested.

True, many people may just want a few birds to look at in their backyard and may like the look of a smaller, all black, crested bird similar in size to a Polish. However, to be true to the history of the breed and its original purpose, preserve its genetic resources, and actually stand a chance at a poultry show of any significance, the Crevecoeur needs to meet the SOP weights. Then again, if someone doesn't care about those things, it's no big deal. It's a free country after all. Also, if someone wants a smaller crested bird, there are several Polish varieties from which to choose. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

True, many people may just want a few birds to look at in their backyard and may like the look of a smaller, all black, crested bird similar in size to a Polish. However, to be true to the history of the breed and its original purpose, preserve its genetic resources, and actually stand a chance at a poultry show of any significance, the Crevecoeur needs to meet the SOP weights. Then again, if someone doesn't care about those things, it's no big deal. It's a free country after all. Also, if someone wants a smaller crested bird, there are several Polish varieties from which to choose. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

All opinions welcome as we all have a love for the amazing species called gallus gallus domesticus!

We were looking for a gentle smaller breed to mix w/ DH's two docile Silkies since the larger heavier or dual purpose breeds weren't working for us -- when they matured the bigger breeds got too assertive toward the 2-lb Silkies. I looked into Polish, Crevies, Sultans, Cochins, Araucana, Dorkings, even gentle giants like Favies or Brahmas. We already had a couple crested Siilkies and were hoping to find a docile lightweight large fowl without a crest for a change.

Someone suggested Breda as a docile lightweight fowl that was also rare so we tried one of them since Crevies and Dorkings were hard to find at the time. We got pleasantly surprised at the Breda compatibility with docile Silkies and their surprisingly good productivity numbers. I love having rare or endangered breeds in my flock to publicize/introduce rare breed to visitors. Even my bird vet looks forward to some new rare breed I bring in for quarantine check-ups that he hadn't seen before. Having worked in the poultry industry he didn't have exposure to the kind of exotic backyard breeds of chickens we find on BYC!

I would love to have all the breeds I've mentioned above and more but being zoned for only 5 hens/no roos in our neighborhood we've had to pass up a lot of nice breeds. I'm still a strong supporter of Crevies and endangered birds or breeds that haven't made it into the APA yet. Wish we were zoned for breeding (no roos) but at the very least we can purchase rare birds in support of the breeders working to save/improve them. I'm glad when someone has the space and love for a rare or endangered breed to ensure it'll be around for future generations. It's why I follow the progress of the Crevies on this thread and other rare breed threads also. Keep up the wonderful work!

True, many people may just want a few birds to look at in their backyard and may like the look of a smaller, all black, crested bird similar in size to a Polish.  However, to be true to the history of the breed and its original purpose, preserve its genetic resources, and actually stand a chance at a poultry show of any significance, the Crevecoeur needs to meet the SOP weights.  Then again, if someone doesn't care about those things, it's no big deal. It's a free country after all.  Also, if someone wants a smaller crested bird, there are several Polish varieties from which to choose.  Just my opinion for what it's worth.

There's an issue with the SOP & being true to the Crevecoeur history-requiring red earlobes. The French standard is for the white. This gives way back. Granted, even early mention in the SOP is for red. It's just not historically or genetically correct. Yes, they should be a good dusk purpose bird with what's been described as fine meat that early on American's didn't like. So, for me, I'll work for the size & egg laying just not the red earlobes.

My 7 month old pair. Unfortunately Sapphire my pullet was hanging out in the coop. Onyx is my cockerel. They free range so weight wise they are lighter. Trying to get weight on them, but so far they're in range for their age, but the lower end. Once I've got their coop & run built to put them in for breeding I'm betting they'll pack weight on.

Back
Top Bottom