***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
they generally dont need trimming, their crest are different from polish ,in the fact that they dont totally blind them, they are more erect and up and away from the eyes still allowing them to see very well.
I would say, though I've never tried it, they should free range pretty well as is....

I think free ranging would be AWESOME for them.....they're one of the most energetic breeds I know of.

Nice! I hope to get a nice group of them, pick out the best and eat the rest. My goal is not to show (although that is fun) but to maintain a breed more like they would have been raised in the original villages. Time to research crevecoeur.
Matt

Look at the first page....look under information...lots of stuff. scbirdfarms has bantam and standard crevies, too...scbirdfarms hasn't joined this thread yet......I sent her a pm a few minutes ago.

How do the differant lines compare? For example are the hatchery stock birds far from the desired compared to others? I know there arent that many around so are the hatchery birds worth starting with? or do you end up with alot of polish crosses to weed through? (I hear Ideal is bad for passing off crossed birds as pure) It appears that at one time they were the premiere meat breed in France. I would like to recreate this. (I am still teetering between crevs, hamburg, ancona, fayoumis and leghorns)

Last edited:
Hatcherys aRe what I am told, start out with good stock but eventually quantity becomes more inportant than quality.
There is still a chance of getting a nice SQ bird out of hatchery stock but is is slim.

If you get from a breeder with a rep you have much higher chances, of getting quality & the birds should look more better than hatchery stock.

I had a friend of a friend, who took a hatchery bird to a show & won super grand champion with it. That was super luck & someone who knew what they were looking for in the bird.

I also have a friend who started out with hatchery stock & breed, Hatched & culled heavily,& are now one of the best breeders in this country.

I started out with a pair of show Creves and I've been hatching & culling from those. I'm now up to a flock of 10 (one roo, one cockerel, one hen and seven pullets). My keepers are all very nice birds.
wink.png

with rare breeds such as this, sometimes hatcheries are all you can find with them. Just bare in mind, like it has already been said, a good hatchery bird is very rare any more, most just want numbers and could care less of quality. If you look they all have some little disclaimer in there somewhere about " being true to breed", well some arent even that in my experience. But in laymans terms, that means this is a junk , mass production bird in most cases with no quality control over the breed.

Personally, I wouldnt waste my time with them, there are always reputable breeders out there who care and try their best to preserve the breed threw careful and select breeding.
Those are the ones I'd try to find.
You'll pay more, but to start with quality, verses years of trying to correct dozens of flaws, well worth the extra money in my opinion, actually cheaper if you figure in all the time, work, feed, and years of keeping and striving to correct.
And, yes, you hit the nail on the head with the crevies, so many people dont know what a true one is supposed to really look like, that black polish or crosses of the two often get brought into the breed and ruin the qualities of the birds. Watch for that and remember all the things in the breed standard I posted earlier.
Remember, all red facial skin and ear lobes!! Otherwise, it has polish in it

DON'T GET LEGHORNS! Mine are total hogs. There dirty, ugly, peck all of my other chickens, will fight over the food even if they're the only ones there, and even will attack me. They're also louder then my polish who are pretty loud, plus they're super flighty and hard to catch.

Back
Top Bottom