Crevecoeur with Lymphoma (5 week old pullet)

Sorry she's not improving. :(

Wish that test would hurry up. :barnie
I've been thinking about her a lot and waiting for an update. This was not what I was hoping to hear. :(

If it comes down to losing the eyes and being blind or culling are you going to cull?

Thank you both, it's frustrating to not be able to help her get well again. I am pretty sure I am going to have to have her culled, and for sure if she would have to have her eyes removed. Poor thing. :( The vet said the avian pathologist told her if it came to that then send the body to him, and he would look and see what happened.

He said that it looks like there is an infection behind the eye pushing it out.

Vet mentioned it could be a microplasma infection

Eye drops don't seem to be doing anything, her eyes looks a bit worse

She does have an eye infection, looks like to me. Does she have a bad odor?
It could be Mycoplasma, but without testing, it would be hard to know.

Infection - that yellow pus that is in the eye, needs to come out in order for it to heal. Drops, antibiotics, flushing, etc. will not dry up chicken pus, it has to be physically removed, it's a semi-hard cheese-like substance that is not re-absorbed into the body.
Can you or your vet push that pus out of the eyes? Flush well, then apply an ophthalmic ointment.

:goodpost:
Don’t give up just yet. Try Wyorp Rock’s suggestions.

The eye ointment you want is Teramycin Opthalmic Ointment I believe.

They sell it at TSC. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz

upload_2019-6-8_10-18-5.jpeg

Unless the eye drops you already have would work. Not sure on that.

Thanks for the advice! I thought it was what was in the video, and was steeling myself to do that pus removal. Then she opened her eye and it was the eye that was bulgy, and I knew then I needed outside help. The pus stuff kind of accumulates like the stuff we get in our eyes over night. She still just smells like bird, no bad odor. I think that the inside of the eye isn't getting the meds the dr prescribed, it is cloudier, looking a bit yellow to me.
I was trying to find just an eye saline solution, but ended up with the non red out eye drops from Family $. it is frustrating there are so many eyedrop kinds, I just wanted something plain or her (the saline stuff I find is just for washing contacts with, not for the eye). I might have to try a Walgreens or so. I was going to make my own saline solution, distilled water and non iodized salt, but the Vet said she didn't know about that, the PH might be wrong. (Saline is what one would flush the eye with, too?)

I've been using these prescribed drops: Ofloxacin Ophthalmic solution .03% (both eyes, I think this was $45), Atropine Sulfate Ophthalmic Solution, USP (left eye, and the $65 one), and Muro 128 sodium chloride hypertonicity ophthalmic solution, 2% (both, $25 for this one).
Stopped the Muro 128 ( supposed to make the eye less cloudy) on Friday, and after today I am stopping the Atropine, but will continue with the Ofloxacin.
Terramycin is what I was using at first, before her eye got even bulgier.

I was trying to get a good photo of her with her eye open, she is quite a wiggler, so I haven't been able to yet, she keeps them as closed as she can most of the time.

Hopefully we will get some information out of the test that should be done today, too bad it is a Sunday. I'll get the info when I get home Monday.

You should be able to find sterile saline at Walmart or CVS. You can make your own sterile saline by boiling 1 teaspoon of salt per 1 quart of water for 15 minutes, let cool and use. You can store the solution you make for up to 24 hours in a sterilized jar, then throw out.

The ointments your vet gave you are probably best to use.
I would ask her if she feels the pus needs to be removed. Sorry that you are having such a rough time of it.

Thanks again Wyorp Rock, I'm keeping the distilled water and the non iodized salt with my chicken emergency stuff. Need to get a good jar for storing the saline after I make it when I do need it.

No e-mail of test results from the lab, I was hoping they had just been busy would get it to me today, but now I think they just didn't do the culture (miscommunication, or not enough materiel to work with? I am still not exactly sure what the other test was called)). I am upset because this test was supposed to tell us what the infection is, and I've had her hang on for ten days of suffering that could have been avoided. :( I hope that next week my vet will not have jury duty next Monday, and she calls me this Thursday so we can regroup and battle plan.

Now I am off to put an eye drop in Buggaboo's eyes. I'll update when I get more info.

Thanks again Wyorp Rock, I'm keeping the distilled water and the non iodized salt with my chicken emergency stuff. Need to get a good jar for storing the saline after I make it when I do need it.

No e-mail of test results from the lab, I was hoping they had just been busy would get it to me today, but now I think they just didn't do the culture (miscommunication, or not enough materiel to work with? I am still not exactly sure what the other test was called)). I am upset because this test was supposed to tell us what the infection is, and I've had her hang on for ten days of suffering that could have been avoided. :( I hope that next week my vet will not have jury duty next Monday, and she calls me this Thursday so we can regroup and battle plan.

Now I am off to put an eye drop in Buggaboo's eyes. I'll update when I get more info.
That’s really disappointing. I’m sorry. :hugsHang in there. Give Buggaboo cuddles for me.

How frustrating not to get any results back from the vet. I hope they contact you soon.

Get you some mason canning jars for storing something like saline. Canning jars can be boiled to sterilize them.

Back
Top Bottom