Crickets

AidKD

Beside the clouds
Premium Feather Member
Jul 6, 2020
Porcupine peak
I want to get my chickens treats but don't want to spend the money on them. I have alot of large crickets where I live and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for catching them? Diy ways would be best.

Where are the crickets...can you do some supervised free-ranging?

When we moved into our house, the yard was infested with crickets. The next spring we got chickens and we let them free range in the yard. Despite the fact that we no longer free range, I haven't seen a cricket in 6+ years!

When we moved into our house, the yard was infested with crickets. The next spring we got chickens and we let them free range in the yard. Despite the fact that we no longer free range, I haven't seen a cricket in 6+ years!
I live in the country on 4+ acres of land. I free range them every day but the crickets like to hide in little cracks and crevices and my rooster is really the only one who leaves the coop so he tends to stick by the girls. There's not an overwhelming amount of crickets but I know they'll all love it!

My Muscovy ducks ate every spider and cricket in my yard!

You should have seen me a couple days ago, my wife almost choked she was laughing so hard. I'm 6' 3" and 300 lbs and I was scurrying this way and that around the yard with a homemade bug net on a 3 foot pole trying to catch the crickets and grasshoppers that have been running amok in my flower and veggie beds, so I could feed them to the flock. I got some needed exercise, my wife had a great laugh, the neighbors passing by got to reaffirm their belief that I'm a lunatic, and the chickens got to munch on some (too few) insects.

I am also searching for a better trap idea...

You should have seen me a couple days ago, my wife almost choked she was laughing so hard. I'm 6' 3" and 300 lbs and I was scurrying this way and that around the yard with a homemade bug net on a 3 foot pole trying to catch the crickets and grasshoppers that have been running amok in my flower and veggie beds, so I could feed them to the flock. I got some needed exercise, my wife had a great laugh, the neighbors passing by got to reaffirm their belief that I'm a lunatic, and the chickens got to munch on some (too few) insects.

I am also searching for a better trap idea...

Chickens make you do crazy things.

I'm sure my neighbors have seen me run out my back door flailing my arms in my underwear a time or two, chasing off a hawk.

But hey, we can all strive to act less crazy. I put up a vinyl fence so my neighbors can't see me...seems pretty sane. :p

Back
Top Bottom