crippled 2 day old chick

nileserenity

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2016
Oregon
Chick hatched afternoon 2 days ago. Was a couple days early and very wet at hatch (I think as I had pulled stolen egg from under broody hen) Right after hatch we left for a few hours and I returned to the chick being still on its side struggling to stand. It had dried on that side and wing and leg were stuck to incubator floor/mesh. Washed it and put back in to dry.
Chick is very vibrant and actively trying to stand/right itself but cannot walk and stays on that side chirping at all times. Toes are curled..legs wings and body have movement but if I hold it up over its feet it does not respond like it would walk or place weight on them.
Is there anything I can do to save this tiny chick or am I going to have to cull?

Anyone else experience this? Chick cannot get to food and water on its own. .do not want it to suffer. Any way to save it?

Try some SaveAChick electrolytes and vitamins with a dropper, giving a drop at a time. Make it a chick chair, or roll up a wash cloth into a circle to prop it upright with feet on the floor. these chicks don't always make it, but try a couple of days in case it helps. some egg with a little feed mixed with water given orally may help.

6612_chick_chair.jpg
LL
LL

My late hatchers are usually like that. Almost as if they outgrew the shell before they hatched. Reminds me of a root bound plant in a too small of a flowerpot.
The ones that are too weak to stand & just lay on their side never make it. The ones that can stand, I straighten their toes and stick a piece of duct tape on the bottom of their feet to hold their toes straight and they always thrive and lead normal lives.
Good luck.

I'll try the chair prop.. I got Vito sol and have given it drops to the beak. Thank you. . It plops over to that same side when I've propped it in a towel on its opposite side

Back
Top Bottom