Crippled Duck

Chickenfeeder22

Chirping
Mar 24, 2018
Hey everyone!
So my family recently bought 4 baby ducklings for the first time. A few days later though and the one that at first seemed to be the strongest, could barely move. He was lying on his side and not doing much, and for about a week stopped developing/growing. We started giving him niacin and he has since perked up, but now he can't walk. He seems stronger; cleans himself, and plays in his water bowl with his head, (he also seems to be developing again, just at a much lower rate) overall a normal duckling but he still can't walk. Right now he sort of hobbles around on his legs but his feet are scrunched up and lying on their sides. Any ideas on how to help this poor little guy? It's been about 2 weeks now and we still don't know what to do. I've tried calling the vet but they haven't given us an appointment or any indication on whether or not they'll check a baby duckling.

Does your duckling have any injury on his back?
I had a duckling with similar circumstances. Feet shrivelled up and cant walk. I did the pin prick test (carefully touch the ducklings feet in various spots and check for reaction)
He jumped each time, but after 3 weeks still no sign of movement.
The difference is yours was walking. Mine never did.
In the end he was getting frustrated not being able to move like the rest and i had to unfortunately cull him.
Yours at least began walking, so it could be a matter of time before regaining

Is there a possibility he got injured some how? need to rule this out.

Your giving Niacin how much and is it plain not time released or flush free?

@Chickenfeeder22 :welcome
We'v checked his legs and feet several times and we can't find any signs of injury.

For Niacin, we'r giving him about 4 capsules a day and it's time released. Is that bad for him? Or could that be the reason it doesn't seem to be helping as much as it should?

That is the reason, get the B Complex in liquid and give that to the duckling. What they add to the flush free and time released changes the potency and ducklings don't do well on it.

@CayugaJana gives her ducklings the liquid and breaks up meal worms put the liquid over and mixes she says they gobble right up.

Do you have any feed stores near you? I bought this from Walmart in the vitamin section. I think it was $6.
View attachment 1304366 View attachment 1304367

And this one from TSC and is much more concentrated View attachment 1304368View attachment 1304369

I would get the one from TSC first, but if you don’t have anything else get the one at Walmart. The liquid will work faster. Then once the duckling is walking around you can get brewers yeast and sprinkle it in their food. It will give them a regular supply of niacin and promote a good nervous system and sturdy legs. @Miss Lydia will give you information about the yeast to sprinkle in their food once they start acting better!

That is the reason, get the B Complex in liquid and give that to the duckling. What they add to the flush free and time released changes the potency and ducklings don't do well on it.

@CayugaJana gives her ducklings the liquid and breaks up meal worms put the liquid over and mixes she says they gobble right up.
Thank you so much!! Hopefully this helps!

Do you have any feed stores near you? I bought this from Walmart in the vitamin section. I think it was $6.
View attachment 1304366 View attachment 1304367

And this one from TSC and is much more concentrated View attachment 1304368View attachment 1304369

I would get the one from TSC first, but if you don’t have anything else get the one at Walmart. The liquid will work faster. Then once the duckling is walking around you can get brewers yeast and sprinkle it in their food. It will give them a regular supply of niacin and promote a good nervous system and sturdy legs. @Miss Lydia will give you information about the yeast to sprinkle in their food once they start acting better!

Awesome! Thank you so much, especially the pictures! I have a TSC nearby so I'll be stopping over there first thing tomorrow. Luckily it's only 1/4 that is sick. The other 3 have brewers yeast and are doing just fine!

I would throw in a bottle of Nutri-Drench in your cart while you are there. It’s really good vitamins for them. Should help it perk up too.

Back
Top Bottom