crippled silkie chick in a sling

janus60

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2015
My 5 day old silkie chick has a dislocated hip and displaced tendon, + splay legs. She gets around only by rocking her body backwards and forwards and propelling herself on her wings. treated her for splayed leg but she cant stand up as leg sticks out into the air over her back. ,
I have fashioned her a sling and she is now non weight bearing, but legs are in the correct position. Hope this works as this is only thing I can think of doing

Update on chick.. The chick passed away today. think there was neurological damage as although it hatched fine it would not open its eyes and was very lethargic. Was fed water in a syringe as would not drink or eat, appeared unable to raise its head and constantly cried.. The chair was the last resort but unfortunately not to be..

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose our babies.
1f622.png

There was to many things wrong with her, she never grew like her siblings, never really raised her head, and hardly ever opened her eyes. Shame really as I was so pleased I had hatched silkies, and delighted to find her freshly hatched. Very obvious something was wrong right from the start.

It was a busy hatch with lots of chicks running round and new-borns drying of, maybe she got tumbled in the egg football and chaos of a busy incy.. Out of pain now poor little chick

There was to many things wrong with her, she never grew like her siblings, never really raised her head, and hardly ever opened her eyes. Shame really as I was so pleased I had hatched silkies, and delighted to find her freshly hatched. Very obvious something was wrong right from the start.

It was a busy hatch with lots of chicks running round and new-borns drying of, maybe she got tumbled in the egg football and chaos of a busy incy.. Out of pain now poor little chick

Sorry hit the submit button twice on the above post, didn't think it had posted.. sorry for that

Back
Top Bottom