CRIPPLED TURKEY! Help!

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
I have three turkeys I got in May. Two toms and a hen. I haven't exactly had them on "fast track to fat" plan: more like finisher, scratch and corn mixed together. They keep putting on weight. Theyre now easily..Without weighing them, somewhere in the upper 20's. And we have a HUGE PROBLEM...BOTH WHITE TURKEYS (a tom and then hen) are CRIPPLED. The tom's leg in the last couple weeks has started turning at a funny angle. He's been getting around okay, but I knew his future didn't look good. I went down to feed today and his leg is completely a BAD angle. Like it looks painful to walk, and he really struggled and fought just to stand up.I don't want him to suffer.
I've called ALL THE game processors in this small town and NONE WILL BUTCHER A TURKEY OR TWO! NONE! I even called the meat processor that processed my 4-H steer a couple weeks ago, and even they won't do it.
So I'm going to have to do this myself. HOW DO I DO IT? I'VE ALWAYS A BEEN A BIT OF A SOFTIE. I'VE NEVER (intentionally anyways) KILLED A BIRD. I DON'T WANT TO USE THE SLIT THE THROAT METHOD. I'D LIKE SOMETHING REALLY FAST I DON'T HAVE TO PUT TO MUCH THOUGHT INTO for killing.
What equipment do I need? I sort of doubt my 9 year old sister will help me, so it's gonna be all me. So far I figure I need a rope, large pot for scalding and a butcher knife.
CAN I SHOOT the turkey in the head? or is that bad for the rest of the meat? PLEASE HELP!

Ahhh Im so sorry-I would chop the head off-IMO I havent butchered a turkey yet0only lots of chickens and I just started using the throat slitting-jugular- method. But if I had to do a turkey Id slit it's throat--if you post STEVEofsandspoultry in your heading hed be the one Id ask for help as hes raises tons of them and knows everything I can thinkof about turkeys??? Im sorry Im not much help :-( Or PM him--hes great

Thanks Sonew. So HOW DO YOU PROCESS CHICKENS? Turkeys have to be thesame just bigger. Im googling it but people on this forum always have the most amazing helpful tips. So how do you do it?
And for some reason I just cant break the neck or chop the head off. I have this hangup I cant kill it iwth it watching me. My brother has turkey shot..So he may shoot it if I ask and then I hang it up by myself and get to work. Will lead turkey shot contaminate it? How do hunters do it?

Quote:
oooh Ok where do I start.

I use a killing cone-I shove the chicken in the cone-head first and pulled out the end
I slit the jugulars-not the trachea
I walk away-for a good 5 minutes to let them bleed out-around 5 minutes later they are passed away at that point as the heart has pretty much pumped what remaining blood is left out.
I then get to work processing him/her
I use a feather plucker-dip and swirl bird in hot 145-150 degree water for a good 30 seconds-then I use a feather plucker-if not pull feathers out by hand.

you know what there got to be a thread about processing turkeys-let me go look since Ive never done a turkey-alot more work maybe???

It's okay. It's their purpose. I knew they were gonna die eventully anyways. I just would rather get it over with today while I dont have college classes then wait till sunday which is my next day off from work and classes.

This is called Twisted Leg Syndrome and I have about half of my 30 BBW that have it.. It is not life threatening and doesnt affect the meat.. I am just gonna keep mine as long as they can still get around and eat and drink then process... Mine have had this for about a week and I have only had to cull one of them.. Good luck with them ... Do a serach on Twisted Leg Syndrome in google and it will tell you more about it...

The best way I can think of is an axe to the head.

First, sharpen your ax. A sharp tool is essential.

Find a tree or other convenient place you can hang it up and allow to bleed out.

A tough bag like a burlap sack or even a big pillowcase, and some twine.

Put the turkey in a large bag with a hole on the end to slip it's head through. Make it snug, and tie a rope around it's ankles.

Whack the neck with the ax, and then hang it up to bleed immediately.

The reason I say put it in the sack is because turkeys are very strong birds and once the head is off, the nerves will react and it will start flapping. The bag will contain the wings and help keep the meat from bruising itself and you from getting bludgeoned.

Turkeys are also heavy, so another suggestion is to have a pulley about to help you hoist, or a strong man.

Back
Top Bottom