Critical breeds list

Except a hen of mine that looks like an Andalusion, I currently don't have any of them. But I have been interested in quite a few. But I can hardly believe that Sumatras are critically endagered. A few hatcheries carry them, and at a local how I was at, they had at least 20-25.

I just want to clarify that I'm not saying all hatchery birds are bad, nor am I attempting to make anyone feel bad if that's what they have. Hatcheries have to be partly credited with keeping these breeds going over the years. And I've even had a couple of birds that partly derived from hatchery stock, and they were fine. I just wanted to point out the contradiction, which others have also pointed out, between the critical list and the list of hatcheries that sell massive numbers of "rare" stock. It doesn't add up, basically, so I guess I'm just saying, be careful, be informed. If you really are interested in a heritage breed, do a little research, talk to some breeders, go to a show. And I wish good luck to all.

According to my one book, all these are critical:

Campines
Catalanas
Chanteclers
Aseels
Buckeyes
Delawares
Faverolles
Hollands
Javas
Malays
Crevecoeurs
Houdans
La Fleches
Nankins
Orloffs
Redcaps
Buttercups
Sumatras
White-faced black spanishs

My next project is going to be the javas. I really want to create some new gene pools with my own line of javas that will start from more than one place. It will be a major project that I have thought about for quite a few years now....prolly time to get er done eh?

bigzio

Once again I'll agree with Coopist. I cannot see how many of these birds could be considered critical. Maybe in there original state but there are too many "rare" birds being sold by hatcheries for them to be endangered.

We raise the Buttercups and Crevecoeurs
smile.png

I have some sumantras. The hen is sitting right now but we can't get to the nest. I free range so they might not be purebreed.

I really have problems with keeping my chickens penned up and not let roam everywhere.

jackie

Back
Top Bottom