Crock pot black beans?

Black beans and rice

2 cans black beans
1 TBSP cumin
1 tsp curry
1 green pepper
1 large onion
16 oz of tomatoes diced (or salsa)
also can add any vegetables you like (I add yellow squash when in season)

Ooooo... that sounds yummy. Can I make it with dried beans? I have a bag of dried beans that I'm trying to do something with. I can do them on the stove, but I want to try out my new Crockpot. Plus, when I make black beans they always turn out tasting like creol red beans and rice as that's all I know how to cook.

Northern beans I soak for 24 hours in non-hard water (learned that on BYC) and then I boil them hard for an hour on the stove. They are then ready for the crock-pot. I'm pretty sure that would work for black beans too.

I soak mine over night, then put into the crock pot w/ whatever recipe you decide to follow(I do similar to one posted), and plenty of liquid to cover them. If you're going to be around, just keep checking the liquid to make sure it doesn't run out. I take the lid off in the afternoon to get rid of extra liquid... then I smash 'em w/ a potato masher a little bit. Serve over rice! I sprinkle a little parmesan onto the rice first. This is a family favorite, easy meal.

Thanks for the recipes and info all! I'm ready to go crank up the crock pot now!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom