Crooked Beak

2Old2Crow

Songster
8 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Kaleefornia Foothills
This bird is my wife's favorite. She's sweet, but at 10 weeks, the beak is really off. She eats my grape leaves, the crumble, and yogurt and sunflower seeds, but she's still the lightest of the clan. She also likes to plop down all the time. I bet she becomes a broody little gal. What do ya think? Does she have a chance of living a long healthy life, or will it be doom and gloom. I want to note, none of the other 5 pick on her. She runs, flys, and acts like a chicken.

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 24
That's not too bad for a crossbeak. She'll do better with some regular maintenance - trimming back tips/edges as needed to minimize the "overbite" and to help beak edges align better. A coarse emery board works well.

We have a cross-beak (EE) who is over a year old now and her beak is far worse than your cute little gal! We do have to hand feed her every day, but she's been a trooper. A month or so back we thought we were losing her ( she literally looked on the verge of death ). We brought her inside to make her comfortable and to try and give her a chance. Got her some medicine from TSC and ordered some medicine online for infection (we weren't sure if that's what it was but thought it could have been it). For the next month she stayed in my bathroom. She got her medicine every day and slowly but surely she came back to life. It was really startling to see. When we first brought her inside the life just wasn't there behind her eyes. All of her character and personality was gone, but as the weeks wore on we saw it start to come back.

All that to say...your little girl can most certainly have a great life. And if she does hit a little snag, it doesn't mean certain death. I've found from personal experience and reading online that cross-beak chickens are absolute fighters. Your girl should be fine!!

Absolutely! Chickens with crooked beak just take a bit more care, Thats all. I have an easter egger named bunny and she has crooked beak. We fed her wet mashed food to keep her full and she has since learned how to eat pellets and is doing great!

Back
Top Bottom