Crop bra for hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tofupup, Aug 20, 2013.

1. tofupup

tofupup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Has anyone used this crop bra http://www.hensaver.com/Crop-Bra.html for hens with slow-emptying crops?

Or, has anyone sewed their own, and if so, do you have sewing instructions? (i.e., how tight to make the crop bra, how large to make the material, how to sew it so it stays on, etc.)

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I guess there's a market for anything.

Chris

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

4. tofupup

Mar 7, 2012
    Well, I ordered one for my hen with slow-crop issues, so I will post an update on its efficacy in a few weeks (or whenever it arrives).

5. karabou

karabou Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    I made my crop bra from an athletic sock (a big one) for my silkie. It was a piece of cake. I cut out the heel and measured about 2 inches and cut the sock off back from the cut heel. Put the sock over my hen's head, pull wings out through hole in the heel.

I then carefully cut extra sock material away and folded it in half to make a push up crop bra.

I have been battling the sour crop (pendulous crop) for 7 weeks: antibiotics, monistat, fast ing diet for 3 days, 3 days of yogurt, and then 3 days of scrambled eggs (crop reset diet, which was helpful), but this crop bra was my solution.

I'm on day #7 and crop is normal. After 7 weeks of battling this issue (and feeling rather hopeless), she's laying eggs again after seven weeks of not. And not head bobbing and uncomfortable.

The nutrition is getting down into her gizzard again and not fermenting.

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I wanted to laugh at first but it may be a useful item for an impacted chicken. Or use an old sock like Karabou said. Interesting idea anyhow.

7. tofupup

Mar 7, 2012
    is there any way you could post a photo of the chicken in her crop bra? I'd like to try to craft one!

8. karabou

Jan 29, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This is when I first got it on her. It was important to turn down the crop part in half for added support.

9. karabou

Jan 29, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This is the bra folded in half, which then makes her bloated (then) crop puff up and push up and out allowing the crop contents to empty into her gizzard. She's still in the bra, but the crop is normal sized.

10. CackedNut

CackedNut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    St. Tammany
    How did the crop bra end up working for you? I am having a problem with my orpington and a sock of any kind is not an option. Too much bird! LOL...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by