Crop bra for hens?

The crop bra worked well for a few months, but the straps wear out. They are made of like ace-bandage material so they got all stretchy and after that it wouldn't stay on her right.

but the issue became moot because she got a respiratory issue so I started giving her Clavamox, and somehow, she emerged from her illness with a working crop, so she doesn't need the crop bra anymore.

The problem with this is that I emailed the people who make this and asked them how to measure her, and got NO answer. Consequently, I measured her crop when it was totally full and huge -- so when the crop bra arrived, it was too big and slipped around, and I had to re-sew and reposition the straps.

If I were to order this again, I would (1) measure when the crop not HUGE, and (2) only put it on her at night so food can digest overnight. Then take it off in the day so she can walk around without having it slip all over the place.

When i used it at night, her crop would be almost emptied in the a.m. Also, the people who make this are not responsive to queries, so that is totally unhelpful.

The crop bra worked well for a few months, but the straps wear out. They are made of like ace-bandage material so they got all stretchy and after that it wouldn't stay on her right.

but the issue became moot because she got a respiratory issue so I started giving her Clavamox, and somehow, she emerged from her illness with a working crop, so she doesn't need the crop bra anymore.

The problem with this is that I emailed the people who make this and asked them how to measure her, and got NO answer. Consequently, I measured her crop when it was totally full and huge -- so when the crop bra arrived, it was too big and slipped around, and I had to re-sew and reposition the straps.

If I were to order this again, I would (1) measure when the crop not HUGE, and (2) only put it on her at night so food can digest overnight. Then take it off in the day so she can walk around without having it slip all over the place.

When i used it at night, her crop would be almost emptied in the a.m. Also, the people who make this are not responsive to queries, so that is totally unhelpful.
Thank you for your help. Her crop is enlarged right now, so I will wait to measure. I really appreciated your help.

Instead of a bra for a pendulous crop, why not examine why the bird's crop is not emptying efficiently? It could be dietary, or a gizzard/intestinal disease. No offense to anyone, but over the few decades I've raised chickens I've never heard of anything so ridiculous since chicken diapers, and I've seen and heard quite a bit.

Instead of a bra for a pendulous crop, why not examine why the bird's crop is not emptying efficiently? It could be dietary, or a gizzard/intestinal disease. No offense to anyone, but over the few decades I've raised chickens I've never heard of anything so ridiculous since chicken diapers, and I've seen and heard quite a bit.
I used to laugh, but I do have 2 hens that are getting close to needing one. They are reasonably empty in the morning. They are both Speckled Sussex.

I would have laughed too a short while ago. However, I have one of my 8 year olds favorite hens having her second round of sour crop. Her crop has always been more "pendulous" and I now know that I must REALLY watch her diet, treats, etc. She is only a year old, and it's not a lot of money in the long run. I am trying for a "quality of life" for the hen. If we are unable to achieve that, I will have to cull her. I'm willing to spend a few dollars to see if it's a viable option for her.

I am open to other options, thoughts as well. I am still learning...
Thanks

I too would have laughed, but pendulous crop is when the muscles of the crop are already damaged; by the time it is like this, some help is needed.
Of course we should always look at the underlying reasons but the honest truth is that some of our hens can be gluttons and this can develop even in a healthy bird that is not eating anything that is bad for it. Some breeds seem especially prone. I meal feed currently (I don't free feed) and still have one that overeats and could, in time, develop this.
The idea is very silly but considering the silly things we sometimes do for pets, I cannot think it too ridiculous. Probably not a good solution for someone keeping a lot of birds as livestock, but if it saves a pet bird's life, why not? The "bra" is designed to help the crop empty properly until either 1) the muscles heal and things go back to normal or 2) for the rest of the birds life to assist in crop placement.

Lucy is a blue orpington. A hatchery chick. I have learned that those are almost considered "dirty words" in some forums on BYC. I have learned so much in my one year adventure with chickens. There are so many things I know for "next time". However, I have also ended up with some wonderful birds. Lucy has always been more "top" heavy. I didn't think much of it, until she devoloped an impacted crop while I was out of town for a week. I have determined that was caused by too many treats while I was away. I got that problem cleared up. I learned about monistat 3 as a cure, and will say I had good luck with it. I also learned that a head of cabbage is probably what caused Lucy to develop sour crop again. I believe that her tearing off too big a piece of cabbage combined with her (I've since learned pendulous breast/crop) has caused sour crop to develop again. Now, I know. I would like to continue to learn and am open to all suggestions. I am unable to spend hundreds of dollars on her, but some here and there is acceptable. I have 13 birds, and two boys (8 and 12). My 8 year old LOVES his chickens.
I appreciate everyone weighing in.

I too would have laughed, but pendulous crop is when the muscles of the crop are already damaged; by the time it is like this, some help is needed.
Of course we should always look at the underlying reasons but the honest truth is that some of our hens can be gluttons and this can develop even in a healthy bird that is not eating anything that is bad for it. Some breeds seem especially prone. I meal feed currently (I don't free feed) and still have one that overeats and could, in time, develop this.
The idea is very silly but considering the silly things we sometimes do for pets, I cannot think it too ridiculous. Probably not a good solution for someone keeping a lot of birds as livestock, but if it saves a pet bird's life, why not? The "bra" is designed to help the crop empty properly until either 1) the muscles heal and things go back to normal or 2) for the rest of the birds life to assist in crop placement.

I have had two hens and rooster which had deformations in the past. Since they could still have good quality of life, some extra time from me to tend to their particulars was no problem, so I understand why someone would prefer not to cull under those circumstances. I know what you mean about gluttonous behavior. I can free feed my leghorn type breeds, but not the heavier dual purpose flock. That is to keep them from being fat and unhealthy. I have never had birds in over 30 years that suffered from a pendulous crop. I've seen sour crop, impacted crop, and a prolonged situations of crop impaction due to gizzard/intestinal problems. Much can be prevented by proper diet, grit, keeping field grass cut, deworming, etc. Sometimes proper treatment can return them to good health. But in the case of crop problems due to intestinal damage, it is best to cull to prevent prolonged suffering. If anyone has an effective way to help the animals in their care, I say good for them. I understand.

Back
Top Bottom