Crop bra for hens?

th.gif

Well, I ordered one for my hen with slow-crop issues, so I will post an update on its efficacy in a few weeks (or whenever it arrives).

I made my crop bra from an athletic sock (a big one) for my silkie. It was a piece of cake. I cut out the heel and measured about 2 inches and cut the sock off back from the cut heel. Put the sock over my hen's head, pull wings out through hole in the heel.

I then carefully cut extra sock material away and folded it in half to make a push up crop bra.

I have been battling the sour crop (pendulous crop) for 7 weeks: antibiotics, monistat, fast ing diet for 3 days, 3 days of yogurt, and then 3 days of scrambled eggs (crop reset diet, which was helpful), but this crop bra was my solution.

I'm on day #7 and crop is normal. After 7 weeks of battling this issue (and feeling rather hopeless), she's laying eggs again after seven weeks of not. And not head bobbing and uncomfortable.

The nutrition is getting down into her gizzard again and not fermenting.

This is the bra folded in half, which then makes her bloated (then) crop puff up and push up and out allowing the crop contents to empty into her gizzard. She's still in the bra, but the crop is normal sized.

Well, I ordered one for my hen with slow-crop issues, so I will post an update on its efficacy in a few weeks (or whenever it arrives).

How did the crop bra end up working for you? I am having a problem with my orpington and a sock of any kind is not an option. Too much bird! LOL...

Back
Top Bottom