Poop looks like it’s getting somewhat more normal

Attachments

• 73766F25-EB81-44D1-B74A-D26687565DE3.jpeg
    73766F25-EB81-44D1-B74A-D26687565DE3.jpeg
    727.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 3E90DFF2-7F99-4FD6-A448-A1D0650B16A4.jpeg
    3E90DFF2-7F99-4FD6-A448-A1D0650B16A4.jpeg
    962.4 KB · Views: 6
He also pooped in his grit. I do have a question about the massaging: should his crop empty as I’m massaging? Or do I massage for 5-10minutes, leave for 30 minutes & come back to do it again? Should his crop be noticeably emptier?

Attachments

• 99853922-8B78-465F-88B1-76502258D31C.jpeg
    99853922-8B78-465F-88B1-76502258D31C.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 7
Massage may or may not cause the crop to empty. It's hoped it will, but no guarantees. The oil should soften any lumpy material and massage often can break it up into smaller bits that will empty. Water is as important as oil in carrying crop contents down the digestive tract. Do the massage at your own convenience.

Another thing you can try is a molasses flush to try to stimulate the intestines to move contents down and out, thus pulling material out of the crop in the process. It's simple and safe. Just give The Dude one teaspoon of molasses in a fourth cup of warm water and let him drink it nstead of his plain water. He'll like it as it's sweet and should be happy to drink it up.

Massage may or may not cause the crop to empty. It's hoped it will, but no guarantees. The oil should soften any lumpy material and massage often can break it up into smaller bits that will empty. Water is as important as oil in carrying crop contents down the digestive tract. Do the massage at your own convenience.

Another thing you can try is a molasses flush to try to stimulate the intestines to move contents down and out, thus pulling material out of the crop in the process. It's simple and safe. Just give The Dude one teaspoon of molasses in a fourth cup of warm water and let him drink it nstead of his plain water. He'll like it as it's sweet and should be happy to drink it up.
Well, his crop feels like it’s mostly water. I’ve massaged his crop for 10 mins, waited 30, went back out to massage it for another 10, and debating on if I should go out again. He’s usually really laid back, but I think Little Dude is getting tired of the massages the second time I came out. He started trying to get out of my arms. Should I just leave him for tonight and check on him in the morning? The harvest festival is going on in my area, I could probably get molasses there but is there anything else that could stimulate his intestines?

He's deserved a rest from all the handling. You can also use Epsom salts as it will also stimulate the intestines. He may not find it as tempting a beverage as molasses, but it will do the job. One teaspoon in one ounce of warm water.

He's deserved a rest from all the handling. You can also use Epsom salts as it will also stimulate the intestines. He may not find it as tempting a beverage as molasses, but it will do the job. One teaspoon in one ounce of warm water.
I do have Epsom salts leftover from dealing with bumblefoot. I’ll try that tomorrow, he probably does need a rest. He started getting really chatty and it was getting the other chickens going. Hopefully his crop is empty in the morning…

Did his poop seem to at least indicate some improvement?

So happy Little Dude is improving. One of my hens had a crop full of dirt/sand from going crazy digging, and our vet gave us cisapride to help flush the crop. I’m not an expert so feel free to research on your own, but it really helped her. Also, the corid treatment really works.

FYI -Cisapride is a gastroprokinetic agent and third-generation benzamide that is used as a motility-enhancement drug, to help increase motility in the upper gastrointestinal tract.

I forgot to add the last pictures I took of his poop. The clump of grass might have been off of my shoe but I’m not sure.

Attachments

• 01CDF8F2-5DE8-4F0A-A615-B4F7B68F0455.jpeg
    01CDF8F2-5DE8-4F0A-A615-B4F7B68F0455.jpeg
    828 KB · Views: 8
  • 0B472507-51FF-4E19-9AC0-0640A424614B.jpeg
    0B472507-51FF-4E19-9AC0-0640A424614B.jpeg
    758 KB · Views: 8
So happy Little Dude is improving. One of my hens had a crop full of dirt/sand from going crazy digging, and our vet gave us cisapride to help flush the crop. I’m not an expert so feel free to research on your own, but it really helped her. Also, the corid treatment really works.

FYI -Cisapride is a gastroprokinetic agent and third-generation benzamide that is used as a motility-enhancement drug, to help increase motility in the upper gastrointestinal tract.
Yeah, I really am too. He’s one of my second favorites and seems to be everyone’s little buddy.

It seems I can get cisapride shipped through chewy as I don’t think my local vet sees chickens ( I’ve asked & was told they treated them the first time but got essentially laughed at and told they didn’t the second time :he ). Though, I’m not sure if it’d get to me fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom