Crop not clearing. Not sure what to do. Please help!

Pics
Thank you so much for all the hope and wishes. The vet said that the part between her crop and stomach (the long tube thing “second oesophagus” I’m not sure what it’s actually called sorry!) was blocked/tiny so hardly any food and water was getting through. So she was starving to death slowly. He said that our only option was euthanasia as the older and bigger she got the more this would close up. So unfortunately Zoomy did not make it through this and has been put to rest today😭. I feel terrible but at least she will no longer be in pain and starving herself the poor poor thing.
The vet said his never seen this in a chicken before and wanted to do a necropsy. We will get the results hopefully in the next few days. As sad as this outcome is I hope this post can somehow help other chickens down the track. Thank you for all of your support.
I will make a final post when I hear back about the necropsy.

Thank you so much for all the hope and wishes. The vet said that the part between her crop and stomach (the long tube thing “second oesophagus” I’m not sure what it’s actually called sorry!) was blocked/tiny so hardly any food and water was getting through. So she was starving to death slowly. He said that our only option was euthanasia as the older and bigger she got the more this would close up. So unfortunately Zoomy did not make it through this and has been put to rest today😭. I feel terrible but at least she will no longer be in pain and starving herself the poor poor thing.
The vet said his never seen this in a chicken before and wanted to do a necropsy. We will get the results hopefully in the next few days. As sad as this outcome is I hope this post can somehow help other chickens down the track. Thank you for all of your support.
I will make a final post when I hear back about the necropsy.
:hugsI'm so sorry to hear about Zoomy:hugs

You did everything you could for her, I'm glad the vet was able to determine what was going on even though sadly she would not make it.

Please do let us know more about the findings/report when you get those back.

And yes, others will find your thread helpful in the future.

Just an update for everyone zoomys necropsy came back. She had a birth defect that mainly happens in dogs/cats/humans but nearly no chickens have had this to their knowledge. They said she had a stricture with webbing (like scar tissue) in her oesophagus. The way they described it was think of a normal wide tube that gets smaller and smaller the further along it is. As she was getting bigger and older it was shrinking more to the point that only very small liquidy foods would pass to her stomach (starving herself). They could have tried operating but it was so close to her heart and lungs that they didn’t want to try. They said if they see any cases in the future they will avoid surgery by trying to put a widening tube down the throat to try to open up the blockage (similar if a human or dog had the same issue-Google will know more). It made me sad that they didn’t offer to try the tube for zoomy which may have helped her but also may not have. From now it will be a trial and error until they can find a way to fix it.

By studying her I hope she can save many more chookies down the road because it’s a horrible thing for the chicken and also the owner to have to go through for what can one day down the line be a simple fix.

My precious Zoomy is hopefully resting in peace now, looking over her sisters and chasing grass and mealworms up in chicken heaven 👼🪱🐓

Just an update for everyone zoomys necropsy came back. She had a birth defect that mainly happens in dogs/cats/humans but nearly no chickens have had this to their knowledge. They said she had a stricture with webbing (like scar tissue) in her oesophagus. The way they described it was think of a normal wide tube that gets smaller and smaller the further along it is. As she was getting bigger and older it was shrinking more to the point that only very small liquidy foods would pass to her stomach (starving herself). They could have tried operating but it was so close to her heart and lungs that they didn’t want to try. They said if they see any cases in the future they will avoid surgery by trying to put a widening tube down the throat to try to open up the blockage (similar if a human or dog had the same issue-Google will know more). It made me sad that they didn’t offer to try the tube for zoomy which may have helped her but also may not have. From now it will be a trial and error until they can find a way to fix it.

By studying her I hope she can save many more chookies down the road because it’s a horrible thing for the chicken and also the owner to have to go through for what can one day down the line be a simple fix.

My precious Zoomy is hopefully resting in peace now, looking over her sisters and chasing grass and mealworms up in chicken heaven 👼🪱🐓
Thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom