Crop not clearing. Not sure what to do. Please help!

Pics

Fluffybutt11

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2023
Hello I have a pullet about 6-7weeks old who has a crop that won’t clear and need some help.

It won’t clear overnight feels like a balloon and makes gurgling sounds when she drinks water.
She is eating and drinking okay (more water than food) but is getting more lethargic because she can’t digest anything. She poops but not as often as the others. She also “throws up” brown liquid.
When massaged the contents of her crop go into her throat instead of down.
I’ve tried fasting her and giving her apple cider vinegar in water. I feel like it’s sour crop but I have nothing to treat her with and don’t have anywhere that sells medication for it. I would love to take her to the vet but we don’t have a bird vet around (normal vet just said to put her down because they think she won’t last) and I really would love her to get better.

Please help!

We also tried giving her grit.
She is now hunching and sleeping on her stick. She it getting worse 😭

I do I’ve tried looking for the medications like niastatin and Monistat but couldn’t find any.

I have metrodinazol 400mg at home but I researched and it’s an antibiotic and not for sour crop.

I’ve been monitoring her and it looks like a he just aspirated some vomit and I don’t know what to do. Will she be okay
Sorry to hear that! How did it happen and do you think she aspirated a lot? I hope someone with more experience will chime in here soon. I really only have experience with impacted crop.

Thank you so so much for your help I really appreciate it!!!
She bent over and ALOT of brown liquid was coming out of her mouth and I stood up to see if I could help in any way and I think she got frightened and jumped whilst throwing up. She was gasping for air for a couple of minutes. She’s now drinking A LOT of water( with gurgling anounds) and seems to have a bit more energy and isnt as hunched. I’m worried about the sour crop and now i am extremely worried about the aspirated vomit because I’ve read about the pneumonia she can get 😔
What should I do now 😔

(Now she’s back on the stick hunched again 🤦‍♀️😭)

Back
Top Bottom