Crop not clearing. Not sure what to do. Please help!

Thank you so much for this. I will take it into consideration for other chookies. We got miss Zoomy back today from the vet. Her thrush is cleared but her crop isn’t getting any better. They said she has crop stasis and they think it has something to do with the duodenal part of her body. We will keep trying with her but she is still vomiting with her limited food and water. Her crop is so big. I hope she hangs in there but I’m not liking the crop stasis. Not many poops today and vet said that if happens to take her back to them. We will keep monitoring her.
I'm glad she's still hanging in there.

So they think she may have a blockage in the small intestine? Did they try giving a flush to see if that would help move any material through the digestive system?

I hope they are able to figure it out and she'll make a full recovery.

Thank you so much for this. I will take it into consideration for other chookies. We got miss Zoomy back today from the vet. Her thrush is cleared but her crop isn’t getting any better. They said she has crop stasis and they think it has something to do with the duodenal part of her body. We will keep trying with her but she is still vomiting with her limited food and water. Her crop is so big. I hope she hangs in there but I’m not liking the crop stasis. Not many poops today and vet said that if happens to take her back to them. We will keep monitoring her.
If it were me and the crop is big especially if it feels like a water balloon or like mashing clay I would give the miconazole cream take her off her food and feed the plain Greek yogurt and follow the instructions given for cure of sour crop . This medicine will follow through the entire digestive tract where if there are more areas such as the area internal the vet mentioned this regimen would fix it up. . I have found the vets to surface treat or scientifically treat but some do not know some simple signs and symptoms because they don’t teach all of this in vet school. If they made the vets have to raise the animals themselves and have hands on knowledge not just science and book knowledge they would be a lot more helpful to the chickens even the avian vets. I paid 475.00 to a vet actually 2 vets and the antibiotics they prescribed helped but not until I listened to a seasoned chicken keeper did my 3 birds get well. They were being exposed to black mold unknowingly to me. The vets were way off track. Not to say there are not any good ones but I sure listen to my fellow chicken tenderer folks . It’s either worth trying or watch her dying if no other option has been presented. Sorry your girl is not much better. Thrush can be treated at home as well. If the yeast infection continues through the digestive tract you might then start experiencing vent Gleet symptoms so keep that in mind. What is your plan now did the vet offer after care for sending you home with yet a still sick bird?

They sent her home with an anti fungal for another day which makes the 7 days and antibiotics. She’s not improving still throwing up and minimal poop. They want to see her again tomorrow but there is so much back and forth. I don’t know why she isn’t getting better and the poor thing looks so sad. Her chirping is sounding off (like her voice is breaking like a teenager) and I’m not sure if it’s because her crop is huge and going back up her throat or because she’s aspirated vomit 🤦‍♀️ I’m at a point where I’m not sure what to do anymore.

She’s back at the vet for emergency care. She would throw up all food and water (she loves drinking water more). They will do X-rays and send a dye through her body to see how it travels to see if there’s a blockage. Hopefully this tells us something. She has lost over 100grams of weight since staying at the vet which is a bad sign. They said if these results come back inconclusive or nothing is blocking her insides they will diagnose it as mareks disease.
I’m hoping it’s a simple blockage that they can fix easily. Please pray for my Zoomy 😔🐓

Have you tried copper sulfate yet? One of my chickens had very similar symtoms, my sister and I tried everything..miconazole, coconut oil, nystatin and nothing seemed to clear it up. From what I have researched copper sulfate seems to wipe out everything in their crop (good and bad bacteria) so the anitibiotics/meds the vets are giving her might not work..use your best judgement..I am not a vet but want to help if I can. An important thing to note is that you MUST use the correct dosage..copper sulfate can be dangerous if not dosed correctly. I found the dosage on BYC. We dont have a chicken vet in our area otherwise I would have taken mine to the vet as well.

Thank you for your suggestion and thank you for wanting to help. The vet did normal X-rays and X-rays with contrast and they are abnormal. There looks to be a blockage but there was nothing outlined on the X-ray. They said it could be adhesions but it would have shown and it hasn’t. They said they never see this and this doesn’t happen but it has to my poor Zoomy. She wants to get a second opinion from another vet tomorrow and see if they need to do exploratory surgery but it’s risky because it’s too close to her heart.
I will update you with what the other vet says but I probably won’t go ahead with the surgery if it’s too risky.

Thank you for your suggestion and thank you for wanting to help. The vet did normal X-rays and X-rays with contrast and they are abnormal. There looks to be a blockage but there was nothing outlined on the X-ray. They said it could be adhesions but it would have shown and it hasn’t. They said they never see this and this doesn’t happen but it has to my poor Zoomy. She wants to get a second opinion from another vet tomorrow and see if they need to do exploratory surgery but it’s risky because it’s too close to her heart.
I will update you with what the other vet says but I probably won’t go ahead with the surgery if it’s too risky.
So sorry you are going through this!

Sorry to hear about this :hugs
Please keep us posted.

No problem, I'm very sorry you and Zoomy are going through this difficult time. :(

I am sorry. It might be time to turn to palliative care for your girl. Your vet doesn’t seem to have a good idea what’s going on and adding more procedures might just be hard on the chicken when there’s no clear way to help her. It’s a delicate balance between helping and harming while trying to help. I have never taken a chicken to the vet, but I have read many posts on BYC of vets trying to treat chickens and their success rate is very low. There just isn’t that much knowledge and only so much we can do.
And who knows, I have seen chickens make miraculous recoveries on „pampering“ care (treats, help with hydration, vitamins, etc…). Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Back
Top Bottom