Barredrocker99

Songster
Sep 17, 2020
Hello!! Regarding my BR that has not seemed to be doing well, I have discovered her crop is definitely impacted. It is about the size of a tennis ball, hard as a rock, and not emptying at night. I could not induce vomiting, and I don’t want to try again as the mass in her crop feels quite large and I don’t want to risk her aspirating.

I’m going to be performing surgery on her crop to remove what is inside, which I believe is a mix of rocks, straw, grass, and just anything she could get her beak on while free ranging. At this point, it’s been about two weeks, so it’s probably sour as well. Any advice on this surgery would be very helpful! It seems really straightforward, but just wondering if there’s anything I need to be careful of/mindful of.

Here’s a list of what I have to prepare for the surgery:
~Co-Flex cohesive bandage
~Veterinary Liniment Topical Analgesic
~Sterile Scalpel
~Betadine solution
~Neosporin
~VetRX (to calm her before hand)

I am going to the store to get myself rubber gloves, rubbing alcohol, and hopefully find some veterinary glue, should I be getting anything else?

To add to this, I have been giving her electrolytes and Apple Cider Vinegar every day for about four days, with no changes. I have tried giving her water and massaging her crop, but there’s no progress. She’s lost so much weight, and is very weak(loses her balance if she’s standing still/pecking at something).

😲Take photos and update us on this one! Be gentle!
I was going to, but it ended up just being my and my dad doing it, and I didn’t want to waste any time or keep her so uncomfortable for so long! It was definitely impacted and also sour. She’s doing well on day 3, and her comb seems to be standing up a little straighter as well! I have her in a dog crate and have been putting a blanket over it so she’s not just paying attention to the other bens and trying to get out!

Back
Top Bottom