crop troubles

ZiaEggcelente

Chirping
Mar 17, 2023
New Mexico
I have an 7mo hen who started with an enlarged crop a week or so ago. I admittedly did not isolate and start treatment promptly enough but I do have her isolated now and have been forging ahead with sour crop/impacted crop treatments -doing olive oil/crop massage/yogurt/fresh water (4 days). She has her color back in her comb but hasn’t been interested in the yogurt now for two days and her crop is not showing much improvement. Advice or experience welcome, I’m worried she won’t recover

Is her crop full and hard or puffy in early morning? Since giving olive oil orally may cause them to choke on it and aspirate, it can be safer to use coconut oil, slightly chilled and cut into small pieces that the chicken can pecan and eat. Give 1-2 tsp per day, and massage in a downward motion several times a day. Can you post a picture of her? Does her crop ever completely empty?

This is a good article to read over to get an overview on crop issues and treatment.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Coconut oil is generally better than olive oil. How does her crop feel in the morning? What are her poops like? Is she laying yet?
I’m sorry I should’ve clarified it’s coconut oil I have been using.
She does have persistent full crop at this point even with massage. I gave her a small boiled egg and grit/small amount of her pellets to sustain her. No laying yet.

Is her crop full and hard or puffy in early morning? Since giving olive oil orally may cause them to choke on it and aspirate, it can be safer to use coconut oil, slightly chilled and cut into small pieces that the chicken can pecan and eat. Give 1-2 tsp per day, and massage in a downward motion several times a day. Can you post a picture of her? Does her crop ever completely empty?
I will get a picture soon. Her crop has not emptied. She was hanging both wings low and looking weak today I gave her some boiled egg and pellets grit to keep her going.

If you can take a picture of her poop as well that would be helpful.

When you feel her crop in the morning, how big is it and how does it feel? Is it firm and hard or is it soft and squishy? Or is it malleable like a piece of dough?
Crop is soft and squishy. Lots of head bobbing this morning. Crop is almost naked underneath from being so swollen no more feathers

Attachments

• 41FF8103-20C4-4B80-86B5-11BAD05B1C89.jpeg
    41FF8103-20C4-4B80-86B5-11BAD05B1C89.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 138DDC6B-2D6B-4D1E-B5CA-7C795EBAD8AB.jpeg
    138DDC6B-2D6B-4D1E-B5CA-7C795EBAD8AB.jpeg
    436.4 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom