Cross beak? Looks more like a hook to me ( pic)

TracyW

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
I am new here, first time poster and first time chicken owner. I have 6 chicks approx 7 weeks old. All seem to be growing great and looking healthy. Only one, seems to be an odd bird out, her/his beak won't close. I have been reading about cross beak, but this is not crossed it is more of a bowing of the top beak. Is this what a cross beak starts out looking like? I heard trimming can help and will do that if I need to, but wanted to make sure that is what I am dealing with. One person said she/he won't make it. So far she is eating and drinking ok but she gets a wet neck.. the others clean her up a little when she has a messy neck from drinking and eating... Any ideas? I seem to be obsessing over her and just want to try to find an answer and solution for her.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
I have a true cross beak at home
I do trim once a month.as long as this bird can and is eating she will be OK. she will learn how to compensate. as for trimming her I'd wait and see which way this goes. if its going to cross or stay open.as they grow it will likely change. not necessarily for the better.my birds beak continued to cross until 5 months old but with frequently trimming her I was able to keep it in some what check. so main thing is making sure she can eat enough. even if you have to feed her separately.I still feed mine separate and I make mine mash which is easier to eat.I simply add water to my regular feed and mash it up then feed her separately twice a day with mash. before I feed the mash she was far too thin on seed only. you will really have to watch her weight and I suggest you also feed her mash separately. with your help she can lead a happy healthy normal life. I know my bird is. it just takes a little extra effort on your part. just wait until you see how she will gobble up the mash. she will eat far better with mash. so watch her closely making sure she eats her mash and she will be just fine. my birds getting ready to lay soon. she's just like any other chicken she just has a handicap. making her bottom of the pecking order. watch she doesn't get picked on that happens sometimes too.I hope this helps you out. it works well for my bird.I wish you the best. good luck.

that makes me feel much better. I will try the mash. I know she is usually always at the feeder. I could not figure out if it was the powdery stuff or the bigger crumbles she was trying to get. This will help..THANK YOU!!!!

maybe one more ? I use 18% crumble Chick starter. Do i just add a bit of water to that to make a mash?

yes its very easy just add water and sometimes I sneak in some vitamins in too. then I take my hands and mash it up good. she will go crazy for it! I'm very happy to help! I wish you the best. any more questions feel free to ask. she will do well on mash. you will see. :) she will lead a happy life with your help. :)

I tried some mash.. She went nuts for it.. Then she went to sleep..LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom