Cross beak?

RussianChickens

Songster
9 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Michigan (USA)
I have some shipped eggs that hatched but some are not developing right. One has awful cross beak and another has an underdeveloped lower jaw. One chick is also healthy looking but is not growing as much as the others.

Is there any cure for cross beak or a way to prevent it? His beak went from normal to completely cross in 7 days.

have you got pictures? I don't think the under developed jaw can be helped, but survival is possible depending on severity

Thanks. It looks like its on its way to severe but Idk how this chick is still surviving! He must be eating and drinking some how. I'm looking into the water nipple for him. I think he can shove his face into the feed enough to get it, watter is my big concern.

I have a hen whos beak is like that ( she wasn't born like that) however I trim it regularly and file it down so she can eat and preen properly and she is fine. however if it gets to bad then it is like a toenail/ finger nail blood vessels and nerves will grow making it impossible to trim back so you have to keep on top of it

Thanks. Hes still got some growing to do so no filling necessary yet. I worry. Will it get any worse yet? Its almost sideways now!

One has an under developed bottom but it is at least straight.

My little Barthunter bit the dust this morning. Despite efforts to feed him and the other Pav he died. He was not growing despite my feeding him twice a day. I believe my other will be next since i have to move away and won't be able to bring him with and no one can tube feed him while I'm gone.
hit.gif
Even with feeding they aren't putting on any weight, and they peck at the feed all day long on top of it, crops are full but they still starve to death.

Well, i guess i tryed.

I'm sorry for your loss :( you did all you could, if your feeding them and they aren't growing then chances are they will have something else wrong with them .if the other one isn't growing then it maybe best to put him down or euthanize him at the vets. These things happen and all we can do is try our best to help them

Back
Top Bottom