Crossbreeds Can Be SO Beautiful, Don't You Think?

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I've never wanted alot of mixed breed chickens; heck, I didn't even want a hatchery sexlink because of that. Then, my friend gave me a bunch of hatching eggs from her Barred Rock flock right after realizing that her other roosters, an Easter Egger, a Cochin/Silkie cross and her DH's Silver Phoenix were all mating the BR hens. I got crosses from each of those, but the most beautiful ones, IMO, are the ones sired by the EE roo. The pullets from each cross are lovely, but these two, Iris and Hazel are to me just breathtakingly beautiful. Iris has more bold patterning and is larger, but they are very similar. They are 19 weeks old now and squatting so soon we should know what color egg they will lay:
DCP_7401.jpg

DCP_7402.jpg

Last edited:
ok, will do. Here is Raven with her sire, the Silver Phoenix rooster. I gave Raven back to Kate as a birthday gift for her DH, whose rooster that is. All the moms of this group of chicks are Barred Rocks. Raven had three brothers, now sold, that were barred similar to BR pullets, but with small combs and longer tails like their dad, but she is solid black.
DSCN1843.jpg

The black pullet in the foreground here is named Kate, after my friend-her sire was the elderly Cochin/Silkie cross we thought was infertile. She has two sisters that are almost identical, except they have some gold in their hackles. They had one brother who looked like a Barred Rock, but with a poufy hairdo like them.
DCP_6753.jpg

OMG they are soooo beautiful. We have mutt ducks. I can't wait to see them feather out. I'm curious to what they will look like. The mama is a mallard and daddy is a pekin.

Back
Top Bottom