1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crossbreeds Can Be SO Beautiful, Don't You Think?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Jun 19, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've never wanted alot of mixed breed chickens; heck, I didn't even want a hatchery sexlink because of that. Then, my friend gave me a bunch of hatching eggs from her Barred Rock flock right after realizing that her other roosters, an Easter Egger, a Cochin/Silkie cross and her DH's Silver Phoenix were all mating the BR hens. I got crosses from each of those, but the most beautiful ones, IMO, are the ones sired by the EE roo. The pullets from each cross are lovely, but these two, Iris and Hazel are to me just breathtakingly beautiful. Iris has more bold patterning and is larger, but they are very similar. They are 19 weeks old now and squatting so soon we should know what color egg they will lay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  2. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Beautiful!!! Show us the rest!!!
    Kristyne

3. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Oh! they are beautiful!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

ok, will do. Here is Raven with her sire, the Silver Phoenix rooster. I gave Raven back to Kate as a birthday gift for her DH, whose rooster that is. All the moms of this group of chicks are Barred Rocks. Raven had three brothers, now sold, that were barred similar to BR pullets, but with small combs and longer tails like their dad, but she is solid black.
    [​IMG]
    The black pullet in the foreground here is named Kate, after my friend-her sire was the elderly Cochin/Silkie cross we thought was infertile. She has two sisters that are almost identical, except they have some gold in their hackles. They had one brother who looked like a Barred Rock, but with a poufy hairdo like them.
    [​IMG]

5. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I would have to agree with that, especially after seeing the pictures.

6. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Gorgeous!! I can hardly wait until mine are breeding and laying! I hope to get some beautiful mixes!
    Kristyne

7. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    OMG they are soooo beautiful. We have mutt ducks. I can't wait to see them feather out. I'm curious to what they will look like. The mama is a mallard and daddy is a pekin.

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh Cynthia! They are beautifull!! Im in love with the first hen. [​IMG] I have 13 mutts. They have the most beautifull coloring. Thanks for shareing.

9. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    he he he!! Mutts are great!! I have 7 baby mutts right now, cant wait to see what they grow up to be![​IMG]

10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Wow, your Iris is lovely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by