crossing chicken breeds???

chickieshealing

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand
Does anyone know, can you cross any hen and rooster regardless of breed and get a baby? I heard once it has to do with size. I have Seramas mating with my Brahmas and other big hens. Will they have babies? Do some breeds not mix?

It may be difficult for a Serama to breed with a large hen but technically it can happen. Rumpless Auracana have difficulty breeding as far as I know they are the only one's and it's just due to being Rumpless.

Last edited:
Isn't that how we pretty much got the breeds we have nowadays? Crossing this, to that?
It is my understanding the ancestor of chickens is the red junglefowl, still around. But with time they were crossed, selected for attributes and prettu much what we call "pure breeds" today are crosses anyhow...

Wow! I'm suprised there are so few cross-breeds, and that we haven't developed tons more standard breeds with all that ability to cross fertilize between kinds! There is so little about this on the net, and so little discussion...I wonder why! I was assuming there was not much ability to cross-breed! I can't wait to see what is going to come out of my incubator!!! (I think I posted this in the wrong section...and with this forum being so big maybe I should find a better forum to start this thread on.) But very interesting responses...I had no idea this was true, and couldn't find any info to answer my question before.

I'm doing the same thing got a green layer type roster and mixed him with a brown layer, cant see what comes out! I'm on day 9 and got like 7 developing. it would probably be like mixing dog breeds to get another "mutt breed"

It's exactly like dog breeds a male Chihuahua could impregnate a Great Dane female. If you breed a green egg breed with a brown egg breed you end up with Olive Eggers.

Wow! I'm suprised there are so few cross-breeds, and that we haven't developed tons more standard breeds with all that ability to cross fertilize between kinds! There is so little about this on the net, and so little discussion...I wonder why! I was assuming there was not much ability to cross-breed! I can't wait to see what is going to come out of my incubator!!! (I think I posted this in the wrong section...and with this forum being so big maybe I should find a better forum to start this thread on.) But very interesting responses...I had no idea this was true, and couldn't find any info to answer my question before.

What DO you have in your incubator? What kinds of breeds, or mixtures of breeds are you expecting? could be fun!

We have 2 roosters: A Delaware and a RIR.. Our hens are Delawares, RIR's and NHR's - we get quite a nice variety of the mix, but they are pretty much all the same size birds that are dual purpose. Nice jumbo eggs out of the NHR's and RIR's, large eggs out of the Delawares, and they are all laying year round.

What DO you have in your incubator? What kinds of breeds, or mixtures of breeds are you expecting? could be fun!
Well, I have eggs as an austrolope x serama, orpington x serama, light and buff brahma x serama, silkie x mille fluer, polish x americana, polish x RI Red to name a few. I didn't put them in yet though because I didn't know it would work to cross them! Now I'm hopeful to try!!

Back
Top Bottom