Crossing my fingers. Put the chicks in the coop today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tigertrea, May 19, 2012.

1. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Songster

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    got most of the finishing touches on the coop done today so In the chicks went. I am SO happy to get them out of my house!! Working too hard to get pics LOL. They Love their coop and I made them a dust bath that they enjoyed. I decided to open the pop door because the birds are really timid and I figured they wouldn't go out anyway. Well, 4hrs after opening the door, as I was putting dinner on the BBQ a few decided to venture out. I nearly decided to eat outside to keep an eye on them. They were fine though and by the time I was done dinner they were all back in the coop (Really glad I didn't have to chase them in!).

So, all in all a good first day in the coop. I am still a little concerned about night time. Temps are dropping into the 50's. But, I closed up the coop windows and most vents to keep the heat in and they have been without a heat lamp for a few nights already in my unheated mudroom. I am crossing my fingers they will be OK. (I will put the heat lamp in tomorrow night if necessary)

2. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Songster

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    it's a great feeling to get them situated, they are fun for a few days and that's about it! Much better outside. When I moved mine out it was nice, then dropped to below freezing with a snow storm, but there snuggled together and were fine.

3. kmatt87

kmatt87 Songster

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    mine are officially in their new coop tonight too :) it was a long time in the making. Most of mine are pushing 12 wks!!

4. RonC

RonC Songster

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    First night out is a big move for you and them. They usually want to go back to the brooder the first couple of nights. Some will fuss if they don't have a light of some sort. You'll probably check on them a couple of times and wakeup early to check again. As long as they have a draft free, predator proof coop they will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: