Crossing my Red Ranger Hens.

Pics
I currently have 3 of my pens set up to hatch Nn..... I am going to try for sexlinks with a red Nn roo and Delaware hens

I like making Sex Links, Eventually, if I do not fail, I will have some naked neck sex links. I am also working on getting some of those Fibro black meat naked necks. The Black and White chick in the background came from a hen who has the black Meat Fibro trait but he doesn't seem to carry the trait himself. The Next batch will have more than just the one.

Looking good! Keep us posted on how you like those Naked Neck crosses.

I will be on more often after I get settled with my new computer that took over a month to get set up right, had to mail it back to the seller to have it repaired. I also was over whelmed with mud issues to the point it took an hour to open the coops, and hour to feed the chickens, an hour to water the chickens, and hour to collect eggs, and an hour to close the coops. Every step was getting to be struggle. Putting in stepping stones or what I call a frogger side walk solved the problem as I hope from concrete block to concrete block. The mud was getting close to a foot deep due to me walking the same path about 5 to 10 times a day.
Now my next problem is that my digital camera broke so no pictures until I buy a new one. It was due to buy a new one soon anyways.

The Female Cemani X Red Rangers just started laying (probably 3 or more days ago by the number of eggs found), They hatched Sept 24th so at 20 weeks. Although they did not end up as large as I expected I do like how fast they develop. They are currently in a pen with their father and Soon I will hatch out their eggs in an attempt to get a male with fibromelanosis who is larger than the Rooster I started with. The Next Rooster will be crossed a CX Hen and the process will be repeated. Long term Goal a meatier breed with fibromelanosis (black meat).

0 copy.jpeg

This was the Ayam Cemani X Red Ranger Cross. The meat isn't black because its a sex link Train and the females inherited it. It was my first time skinning a chickens and only the 3 Chicken I ever processed. I don't even remember doing the first to. More meat than I expected there to be. He was processed at around 20 to 21 weeks. I am preparing to make something with the breast meat now and sat down at the computer to find a good recipe. I will let you know how the white meat turned out. I gave the Drumsticks and Thighs to a neighbor who said he would text me about the meat quality.

Previous times I dressed out a chicken (CX) I because so sick to my stomach that I could not eat meat for a week or 2 afterwards. This time that did not become an issue. Maybe a small bird is just easier for me to handle and also this time I skinned it a garbage back allowing me to do it in my kitchen and no outside. I wasn't swarmed by flies this time.
As far amount of meat, I actually believe keeping a Red Ranger Hen alive to cross with Heritage breeds is not a bad idea. I believe the amount of meat obtained is worth the effort to dress them out. I did not feel this way a few days ago. Not sure if I am going to be dressing out my First Silver Grey Dorking X Red Ranger cross next month. I only have one and he may going into a breeding program. If that is the case then April and May I will be dressing out quite a few of them.

View attachment 1675469
This was the Ayam Cemani X Red Ranger Cross. The meat isn't black because its a sex link Train and the females inherited it. It was my first time skinning a chickens and only the 3 Chicken I ever processed. I don't even remember doing the first to. More meat than I expected there to be. He was processed at around 20 to 21 weeks. I am preparing to make something with the breast meat now and sat down at the computer to find a good recipe. I will let you know how the white meat turned out. I gave the Drumsticks and Thighs to a neighbor who said he would text me about the meat quality.

Previous times I dressed out a chicken (CX) I because so sick to my stomach that I could not eat meat for a week or 2 afterwards. This time that did not become an issue. Maybe a small bird is just easier for me to handle and also this time I skinned it a garbage back allowing me to do it in my kitchen and no outside. I wasn't swarmed by flies this time.
As far amount of meat, I actually believe keeping a Red Ranger Hen alive to cross with Heritage breeds is not a bad idea. I believe the amount of meat obtained is worth the effort to dress them out. I did not feel this way a few days ago. Not sure if I am going to be dressing out my First Silver Grey Dorking X Red Ranger cross next month. I only have one and he may going into a breeding program. If that is the case then April and May I will be dressing out quite a few of them.
how much does he weigh dressed?

View attachment 1675469

It look's like it has some nice sized thigh's and drumstick's on it. I like the leg's of the chicken, although most seem to like the huge breast meat on them.

how much does he weigh dressed?
I wish I weighed him but I didn't buy a scale. Spent all my extra free money fixing problem related to flooding. I can only say that I feel that they are worth the effort to raise. I doubt the feed to meat ratio is good but if I was going for that I would just raise CX. I plan to have a Scale when I dress out the Dorking X Ranger.
It look's like it has some nice sized thigh's and drumstick's on it. I like the leg's of the chicken, although most seem to like the huge breast meat on them.
There was actually a decent amount of breast meat on him. I ended up make 6 chicken fingers and I didn't exactly do a great job of filleting him since I have very little experience with it. I gave the thighs and drum sticks to a neighbor who loves dark meat and he is going to text me a flavor report. I do not like dark meat myself, too much flavor. Not much of meat eater myself.
0-1.jpeg

It sorta looks sloppy because the breading was cooked into the deep fryer basket But it was enough to feed me and my large appetite. Extremely Tender but he spent his last week eating scratch grains soaked in Heavy Whipping Cream. Not exactly something i would do if I was trying to save money but I was curious as to how that would affect the tenderness of the meat since dairy products make chickens Lethargic.

Back
Top Bottom